to plan; to invent; to design
devise
witness
comprise
trail

why generating and what does this context mean?

"Let's eat out for a change" vs "Let's eat out in a change" | suit vs. fit
why generating and what does this context mean? #1 (permalink) Sat Jun 28, 2008 15:17 pm   why generating and what does this context mean?

ESL/EFL Test #24 "Employment and Training", question 1

We're paying for a stand at the new industrial exhibition with a view to ......... interest among potential employees in our company.

(a) generalizing
(b) generating
(c) germinating
(d) gesticulating

ESL/EFL Test #24 "Employment and Training", answer 1

We're paying for a stand at the new industrial exhibition with a view to generating interest among potential employees in our company.

Correct answer: (b) generating
_________________________

Sultano

why generating and what does this context mean? #2 (permalink) Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:05 am   why generating and what does this context mean?

.
Here, the collocation is 'generate interest (in something)', and 'generate' = 'create'. The exhibition is intended to get potential employees interested in joining their company.
.
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
What is wrong with the term rough patch/patches in this context?meaning of "dressing table"'Put in' vs 'Put out'Is it possible to obtain business English reading materials to teach to students?Expression "as best as you can"'disappeared completely' vs 'disappeared quickly'meaning of doughboywhat does "flunked out of the army" mean?Shouldn't it just be '...he always tried to steal the limelight in order to...'?Shouldn't it be '...helped him blow off some steam...'?Idiom: looking for a fair shakemeaning of "falling-out""responsibility for" vs "responsibility to"