large closed vehicle used for transporting goods or people
preventive
van
increase
matter

What does migrate mean?

What is the difference between 'familiarly' and 'familiar'? | going out to the movies vs. going to the movies
What does migrate mean? #1 (permalink) Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:52 am   What does migrate mean?

ESL/EFL Test #181 "Facts about pizza in the US: pizza industry expressions", question 9

Pizza ......... to America with the Italians at the end of the nineteenth century.

(a) roamed
(b) wandered
(c) drifted
(d) migrated

ESL/EFL Test #181 "Facts about pizza in the US: pizza industry expressions", answer 9

Pizza migrated to America with the Italians at the end of the nineteenth century.

Correct answer: (d) migrated

_________________________

I thought the word migrate is uses just for people...
Zarinamo

What does migrate mean? #2 (permalink) Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:27 am   What does migrate mean?

Hello again Zarinamo,

Yes, usually it implies a living agent (whether human or animal). If the Italians had not been mentioned, the sentence would have sounded humorous or strange; but here, the sentence really means "the Italians migrated, and took pizza with them".

"Migrate" can also be used metaphorically, especially in IT; for instance, you "migrate" data when you transfer it to a new system or format, e.g.

1. We recently migrated the data to a new SQL server.

Best wishes,

MrP
MrPedantic

Location: Southern England

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
What does migrate mean? #3 (permalink) Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:12 am   What does migrate mean?

Thank you very much. Now it is clear... :wink:
Zarinamo

adapt vs accommodatethrown in prision vs. thrown in the prisonWhat does 'get hold of' mean?What is the meaning of forsaken?The idiomatic expression ' to latch onto'"...that made him...", isn't it?Why is "you have forgiven me"?Odd use of 'will'"...dropped it like it was ...", isn't it?I thought since 'idle mind is the devil's workshop', idle thoughts would be...What does 'decorating the mahagony' mean?where to use solitary?Usage of the phrasal verb "count on"