to exchange one thing for another; to trade; to barter
transcend
broadcast
tow
swap

What does "flush" mean in this sentence?

definiton of "on the rocks" | Expression: 'off the mark'
What does "flush" mean in this sentence? #1 (permalink) Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:15 am   What does "flush" mean in this sentence?

"That car I was going to buy turned out to be a ......... flush. The owner didn't put this in the advertisement but the car needs over two thousand dollars in repairs," Curt said to Dina.

(a) straight
(b) radiator
(c) busted
(d) toilet

"That car I was going to buy turned out to be a busted flush. The owner didn't put this in the advertisement but the car needs over two thousand dollars in repairs," Curt said to Dina.

Correct answer: (c) busted

Your answer was: ?
_________________________

Englishholic
English_holic

What does "flush" mean in this sentence? #2 (permalink) Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:35 am   What does "flush" mean in this sentence?

.
Here, a 'flush' is a hand of 5 playing cards in poker that are all of one suit (diamonds, spades, etc). A 'busted flush' in poker is 4 cards of one suit, and one card that does not match them.
.
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
What does "flush" mean in this sentence? #3 (permalink) Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:32 am   What does "flush" mean in this sentence?

So I want to know what does the whole sentence mean?
_________________
On earth there is nothing great but man, in man there is nothing great but mind.
Sophie

What does "flush" mean in this sentence? #4 (permalink) Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:03 am   What does "flush" mean in this sentence?

He was going to buy a car that was in bad condition.

What does "flush" mean in this sentence? #5 (permalink) Sat Jul 12, 2008 22:07 pm   What does "flush" mean in this sentence?

Yeah it's funny, the joke is related with a poker card game hand suit named flush, but in this case it's "busted" because you has no flush in your hand just 4 cards with the same suit. Making sense when you think you made a good choice in any business but in reality you didn't. Too close but, not this time baby!!!!
Dredmour

Location: Brazil

What does "flush" mean in this sentence? #6 (permalink) Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:22 am   What does "flush" mean in this sentence?

Nice to meet you here, Dredmour! You seem to be very good at English!
_________________
Sophie

flush #7 (permalink) Tue Oct 14, 2008 19:57 pm   flush

I was thinking that in the poker game a flush is one of the bigger hands. It is good fortune to get one. So maybe the guy was thinking he had a good deal, but it turned out to be not so. So his hope went down the toilet. Too much thinking.
Wjh678

Location: Auburn, California

What does miserable mean?Meaning of behavioralsmell vs. scentThis test helped me improve my English!What does 'prize' mean?What's the difference between clothes and cloths?On Monday morningget down vs. get depressedWhat does the idiom 'horse sense' mean?'my blood turned to ice' vs 'my blood turned to water'invented vs. developedwhy is not said, since to greet means say hi?What are idioms?