Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

portion of a wall or fence that opens and closes; any barrier which opens and closes; entrance; entryway
gate
interviewee
intent
drill
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does the expression 'seeing forest from trees' mean?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
liability is not a debit or credit | Audience vs. spectator
listening exercises
What does the expression 'seeing forest from trees' mean? #1 (permalink) Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:09 am   What does the expression 'seeing forest from trees' mean?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #315 "English Slang Idioms (36)", question 6

"That is the problem with a lot of department managers. They are good at improving their department but that is often at the expense of the organization as a whole. They often can't see the ......... from the trees," the consultant said.

(a) structures
(b) others
(c) forest
(d) route

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #315 "English Slang Idioms (36)", answer 6

"That is the problem with a lot of department managers. They are good at improving their department but that is often at the expense of the organization as a whole. They often can't see the forest from the trees," the consultant said.

Correct answer: (c) forest

What does the expression 'seeing forest from trees' mean?

Priya Raghavan
Priya Raghavan

What does the expression 'seeing forest from trees' mean? #2 (permalink) Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:44 am   What does the expression 'seeing forest from trees' mean?

to pay too much attention to details and not understand the general situation
Daemon99
I'm here quite often ;-)

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
What does the expression 'seeing forest from trees' mean? #3 (permalink) Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:34 am   What does the expression 'seeing forest from trees' mean?

Hi,

In my book the expression (rightly explained by Daemon) is usually: can't see the wood for the trees.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What does the expression 'seeing forest from trees' mean? #4 (permalink) Fri Aug 14, 2009 18:41 pm   What does the expression 'seeing forest from trees' mean?

There must be a typo in the test.

I can't recall ever having heard anyone use this idiom with the word "from". Never. The expression I've always heard used in my neck of the woods (US) is "can't see the forest for the trees."
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/can%27t+see+the+forest+for+the+trees

liability is not a debit or credit | Audience vs. spectator
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Things such as "lives in the outskirts of"...I don't think you are going to get your damage deposit back...I'm here to inform you that I'm pressing charges against...A good dictionary for slang idiomsDo you have questions not about elephants?"out of a sense" vs "in a sense of"What does float one's boat mean?When do we use "their" and they're in the sentence?How do elephants drink water with trunks?meaning of deviateHe lost interest in it vs. he lost his interestPresent continuous vs. present simpleVery kind of you