Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to sign over property to a creditor as security for money that is owed; to obligate
mortgage
perpetuate
lock
talk
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

meaning of doughboy

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Is it possible to obtain business English reading materials to teach to students? | what does "flunked out of the army" mean?
listening exercises
meaning of doughboy #1 (permalink) Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:23 am   meaning of doughboy

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #284 "English Slang Idioms (6)", question 7

"I used to be kind of a ......... when I was little but I lost most of the weight in my teenage years."

(a) runt
(b) beanpole
(c) doughboy
(d) punk

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #284 "English Slang Idioms (6)", answer 7

"I used to be kind of a doughboy when I was little but I lost most of the weight in my teenage years."

Correct answer: (c) doughboy

From the sentence, I thought being a doughboy meant being fat. However, when I tried to confirm, several dictionaries say 'an American infantryman especially in World War I'.

Priya Raghavan
Priya Raghavan

meaning of doughboy #2 (permalink) Wed Jul 02, 2008 21:40 pm   meaning of doughboy

Hi Priya,
In this case, it means 'fat or overweight.' Sometimes, terms (in the civilian world) overlap into military terms and the meanings may be different. In addition, sometimes, military terms are only used in military contexts and are not understood by civilians. In this sentence, the meaning is "fat or overweight" and that is used outside of military life.
I'm here quite often ;-)
Linda Arlia

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
meaning of doughboy #3 (permalink) Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:46 am   meaning of doughboy

Hi Priya,

As Linda mentioned, there are multiple meanings that sometimes overlap. In my opinion, the use of 'doughboy' in military terms has somewhat died out. I think you'll only hear it used as a term for a soldier when referencing to military matters of that era.

I would suggest that the more modern usage of 'doughboy' (i.e. a fat or plump person) stems from pop culture. The Pillsbury doughboy is a rather portly/plump icon or mascot used in commercials for many of Pillsbury's baking products. His actual name is Pop 'n Fresh, and he looks like so:

Usually in the commercials, after Pop 'n Fresh has shown what a delicious baked good you too could easily make, a person's hand enters the screen and gently pokes his belly, causing him to issue a high-pitched giggly "tee-hee".
Skrej
I'm here quite often ;-)

Is it possible to obtain business English reading materials to teach to students? | what does "flunked out of the army" mean?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
meaning of slyWhat is wrong with the term rough patch/patches in this context?How it is Harry and not John or anyone else?Is this expression correct? ...We'll see "whose" right...meaning of "dressing table"'Put in' vs 'Put out'Expression "as best as you can"'disappeared completely' vs 'disappeared quickly'suit vs. fitWhat is the difference between part and component?Shouldn't it just be '...he always tried to steal the limelight in order to...'?why generating and what does this context mean?"Let's eat out for a change" vs "Let's eat out in a change"