Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to exchange goods and services
barter
imply
observe
stage
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Why 'death and taxes'? Would like to know the origin of the phrase.

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of "between you and me" | Help! I will drown!
listening exercises
Why 'death and taxes'? Would like to know the origin of the phrase. #1 (permalink) Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:31 am   Why 'death and taxes'? Would like to know the origin of the phrase.

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #291 "English Slang Idioms (13)", question 8

"How do you know the merger will make us money?" the CEO asked the presenter. The presenter said "I don't know for sure. Nothing is certain but death and ......... but the idea makes sense."

(a) taxes
(b) burial
(c) birth
(d) destruction

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #291 "English Slang Idioms (13)", answer 8

"How do you know the merger will make us money?" the CEO asked the presenter. The presenter said "I don't know for sure. Nothing is certain but death and taxes but the idea makes sense."

Correct answer: (a) taxes

Why 'death and taxes'? Would like to know the origin of the phrase.

Priya Raghavan
Priya Raghavan

Why 'death and taxes'? Would like to know the origin of the phrase. #2 (permalink) Mon Jun 30, 2008 13:25 pm   Why 'death and taxes'? Would like to know the origin of the phrase.

apparently first said by Benjamin Franklin, USA President

look here for more information:
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/death-and-taxes.html
Benjamin
You can meet me at english-test.net

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Why 'death and taxes'? Would like to know the origin of the phrase. #3 (permalink) Mon Jun 30, 2008 14:59 pm   Why 'death and taxes'? Would like to know the origin of the phrase.

Benjamin wrote:
apparently first said by Benjamin Franklin, USA President
Benjamin Franklin was one of the 'Founding Fathers' of the USA, but he was never actually president of this country. He was 'President' (governor) of Pennsylvania for a while, though.

Why 'death and taxes'? Would like to know the origin of the phrase. #4 (permalink) Mon Dec 28, 2009 23:12 pm   Why 'death and taxes'? Would like to know the origin of the phrase.

Good morning,
My Name is Max-ceau, English isn't my native language but my favorite . I have lots of difficulties with slang idioms, Is it really important to know them if I want to speak good english? for example I can't see any relation between death and taxes in this exercice. For me it doesn't make sense, Would you like to help me please?
Lotinmaxceau
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Meaning of "between you and me" | Help! I will drown!
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Psychiatrist vs psychologist vs psychotherapist vs psychoanalyst?Sentence: Sunglasses protect your eyes against the sun's (direct) harsh blaze...Can we use Font size in this sentence or is it too technical...decay vs. rot"Earlier XYZ&Co." or "Formerly XYZ&Co."What is the difference between before and in front of?Difference between snowflakes, hailstones and icicles?Warmest season vs. hottest seasonUsage of air conditionersWhat does Landmarks mean?You can't miss it because it is enormous. vs You can't avoid it because it is...Why did Timothy draw a picture for his mother?'member of the gym' vs 'member by the gym'