to exchange goods and services
barter
imply
observe
stage

Why 'death and taxes'? Would like to know the origin of the phrase.

Meaning of "between you and me" | Help! I will drown!
Why 'death and taxes'? Would like to know the origin of the phrase. #1 (permalink) Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:31 am   Why 'death and taxes'? Would like to know the origin of the phrase.

"How do you know the merger will make us money?" the CEO asked the presenter. The presenter said "I don't know for sure. Nothing is certain but death and ......... but the idea makes sense."

(a) taxes
(b) burial
(c) birth
(d) destruction

"How do you know the merger will make us money?" the CEO asked the presenter. The presenter said "I don't know for sure. Nothing is certain but death and taxes but the idea makes sense."

Correct answer: (a) taxes
_________________________

Priya Raghavan
Priya Raghavan

Why 'death and taxes'? Would like to know the origin of the phrase. #2 (permalink) Mon Jun 30, 2008 13:25 pm   Why 'death and taxes'? Would like to know the origin of the phrase.

apparently first said by Benjamin Franklin, USA President

look here for more information:
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/death-and-taxes.html
Benjamin

Location: London

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Why 'death and taxes'? Would like to know the origin of the phrase. #3 (permalink) Mon Jun 30, 2008 14:59 pm   Why 'death and taxes'? Would like to know the origin of the phrase.

Benjamin wrote:
Benjamin Franklin was one of the 'Founding Fathers' of the USA, but he was never actually president of this country. He was 'President' (governor) of Pennsylvania for a while, though.
.
_________________

Why 'death and taxes'? Would like to know the origin of the phrase. #4 (permalink) Mon Dec 28, 2009 23:12 pm   Why 'death and taxes'? Would like to know the origin of the phrase.

Good morning,
My Name is Max-ceau, English isn't my native language but my favorite . I have lots of difficulties with slang idioms, Is it really important to know them if I want to speak good english? for example I can't see any relation between death and taxes in this exercice. For me it doesn't make sense, Would you like to help me please?
Lotinmaxceau

Location: Cayes, HAITI

Psychiatrist vs psychologist vs psychotherapist vs psychoanalyst?Sentence: Sunglasses protect your eyes against the sun's (direct) harsh blaze...Can we use Font size in this sentence or is it too technical...decay vs. rot"Earlier XYZ&Co." or "Formerly XYZ&Co."What is the difference between before and in front of?Difference between snowflakes, hailstones and icicles?Warmest season vs. hottest seasonUsage of air conditionersWhat does Landmarks mean?You can't miss it because it is enormous. vs You can't avoid it because it is...Why did Timothy draw a picture for his mother?'member of the gym' vs 'member by the gym'