large batch of letters sent at one time by a single sender; rented property
border
recession
leader
mailing

'Put in' vs 'Put out'

meaning of "dressing table" | What is wrong with the term rough patch/patches in this context?
'Put in' vs 'Put out' #1 (permalink) Wed Jul 02, 2008 20:20 pm   'Put in' vs 'Put out'

ESL/EFL Test #177 "Idioms with the phrasal verb put", question 4

......... your garbage at the designated pickup point by 8 a.m. on the collection days scheduled for your area.

(a) Put off
(b) Put in
(c) Put out
(d) Put on

ESL/EFL Test #177 "Idioms with the phrasal verb put", answer 4

Put out your garbage at the designated pickup point by 8 a.m. on the collection days scheduled for your area.

Correct answer: (c) Put out
_________________________

what is the meaning of " PUT IN"?

Tupko
Tupko

'Put in' vs 'Put out' #2 (permalink) Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:46 am   'Put in' vs 'Put out'

To 'put in' could literally mean 'place in(side)'.

As an idiom, it means to add to, or apply for, or attempt to get.

"I put in for the Saturday afternoon work shift" = "I applied for the Saturday afternoon work shift."
"I put in another pizza, since Bob and Tina are coming over too" = "I added another pizza to cook since we need more food now"
"I put in for the week of June 14th off for vacation" = "I'm attempting to get that week free from work for my vacation."
_________________
Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow.
***
Did you hear they arrested the Energizer Bunny on battery charges?
***
Skrej

Location: Not-quite exact central USA

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
'Put in' vs 'Put out' #3 (permalink) Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:58 am   'Put in' vs 'Put out'

put in also means to install some hardware.
For example, yesterday I had technicians put in a new heater in my apartment.

until vs. whenmeaning of "Lap of the semester"meaning of slyHow it is Harry and not John or anyone else?Is this expression correct? ...We'll see "whose" right...Is it possible to obtain business English reading materials to teach to students?Expression "as best as you can"'disappeared completely' vs 'disappeared quickly'meaning of doughboywhat does "flunked out of the army" mean?suit vs. fitWhat is the difference between part and component?Shouldn't it just be '...he always tried to steal the limelight in order to...'?