significant; important
spot
meaning
articulate
pretentious

meaning of "dressing table"

what does "flunked out of the army" mean? | 'Put in' vs 'Put out'
meaning of "dressing table" #1 (permalink) Wed Jul 02, 2008 21:47 pm   meaning of "dressing table"

Business Idiom in English, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #174 "Dressing expressions", question 6

The ......... is approx. 3 1/4 feet wide by 4 feet deep, and has a full length mirror attached inside the door.

(a) dressing gown
(b) dressing table
(c) dressing room
(d) dressing down

ESL/EFL Test #174 "Dressing expressions", answer 6

The dressing room is approx. 3 1/4 feet wide by 4 feet deep, and has a full length mirror attached inside the door.

Correct answer: (c) dressing room
_________________________

I would like to know the meaning or use of:
dressing gown
dressing table
dressing room
dressing down
Thx.

Viri
Viri

meaning of "dressing table" #2 (permalink) Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:14 am   meaning of "dressing table"

A dressing gown is a casual robe or covering worn while resting, or lounging. For example, you might wear a dressing gown while in your house before getting fully dressed, or to cover yourself when not completely dressed in front of other people. It is very similar to a bathrobe or nightgown.

A dressing table is sort of like a small desk, with a large mirror and drawers that one would sit in front of while dressing or grooming yourself, for example while brushing your hair or applying makeup.

A dressing room is just that, a room for dressing. The term is especially used in theatre, to indicate a room where people change costumes or apply theatrical makeup.

Dressing down, is an idiom which means to dress in an informal fashion, to wear casual clothes. The opposite is to 'dress up', or put on formal clothes.

So I might 'dress down' to go for a walk in the park, or a friendly meeting with friends, but 'dress up' to go to a wedding or funeral, or fancy party.
_________________
Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow.
***
Did you hear they arrested the Energizer Bunny on battery charges?
***
Skrej

Location: Not-quite exact central USA

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
until vs. whenmeaning of "Lap of the semester"meaning of slyWhat is wrong with the term rough patch/patches in this context?How it is Harry and not John or anyone else?Is this expression correct? ...We'll see "whose" right...Is it possible to obtain business English reading materials to teach to students?Expression "as best as you can"'disappeared completely' vs 'disappeared quickly'meaning of doughboysuit vs. fitWhat is the difference between part and component?Shouldn't it just be '...he always tried to steal the limelight in order to...'?