stimulus; motivation; revelation; insight; idea
fellow
sequence
inspiration
browser

What is wrong with the term rough patch/patches in this context?

'Put in' vs 'Put out' | Is this expression correct? ...We'll see "whose" right...
What is wrong with the term rough patch/patches in this context? #1 (permalink) Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:49 pm   What is wrong with the term rough patch/patches in this context?

"My wife and I have hit rough .......... lately. We've received lots of unexpected bills and both of us have had deaths in the family," John told Brian.

(a) paper
(b) patches
(c) weather
(d) turbulence

"My wife and I have hit rough weather. lately. We've received lots of unexpected bills and both of us have had deaths in the family," John told Brian.

Correct answer: (c) weather

"My wife and I have hit rough patches. lately. We've received lots of unexpected bills and both of us have had deaths in the family," John told Brian.
_________________________

Fiber
Fiber

What is wrong with the term rough patch/patches in this context? #2 (permalink) Thu Jul 03, 2008 14:04 pm   What is wrong with the term rough patch/patches in this context?

Hi Fiber,

there is nothing wrong with the term. The phrase/expression is correct and can be used in this context but is not the right answer here.

Because the correct phrase is "...have hit a rough patch..."
you cannot hit plural patches.

So because the questions does not have "a" in it then this cannot be the right answer IN THIS CASE
if the question had been "My wife and I have hit a rough .......... lately" then the correct answer would have been "patch".
Benjamin

Location: London

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
difference between employment and dutyuntil vs. whenmeaning of "Lap of the semester"meaning of slyHow it is Harry and not John or anyone else?meaning of "dressing table"Is it possible to obtain business English reading materials to teach to students?Expression "as best as you can"'disappeared completely' vs 'disappeared quickly'meaning of doughboywhat does "flunked out of the army" mean?suit vs. fitWhat is the difference between part and component?