in opposition; against; counter
instead
behind
contrary
regardless

Shouldn't it be ..., there was nothing ...?

chop and change | following directions
Shouldn't it be ..., there was nothing ...? #1 (permalink) Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:41 am   Shouldn't it be ..., there was nothing ...?

Business was looking up. With their top competitor ......... the drain, there nothing to hold them back from making some serious money.

(a) circling
(b) mistaking
(c) building
(d) draining

Business was looking up. With their top competitor circling the drain, there nothing to hold them back from making some serious money.

Correct answer: (a) circling

_________________________

Englishholic
English_holic

Shouldn't it be ..., there was nothing ...? #2 (permalink) Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:52 am   Shouldn't it be ..., there was nothing ...?

Yup, that is correct. well spotted
Benjamin

Location: London

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Shouldn't it be ..., there was nothing ...? #3 (permalink) Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:04 pm   Shouldn't it be ..., there was nothing ...?

Many thanks for pointing this out, it'll get changed soon.

TOEIC listening, photographs: Reviewing blueprints

Shouldn't it be ..., there was nothing ...? #4 (permalink) Thu Sep 09, 2010 0:00 am   Shouldn't it be ..., there was nothing ...?

Does to circle the drain mean to get the bulk of profit ( for oneself)?
Nenad11

Location: Belgrade

Shouldn't it be ..., there was nothing ...? #5 (permalink) Fri Dec 17, 2010 16:23 pm   Shouldn't it be ..., there was nothing ...?

Three very clear explications for your question.

1.USA) If you circle the wagons, you stop communicating with people who don't think the same way as you to avoid their ideas. It can also mean to bring everyone together to defend a group against an attack./UsingEnglish/

2.Circle the drain
If someone is circling the drain, they are spiraling downward to a usually inevitable death./UsingEnglih//

3.Circling the drain
If someone is circling the drain, they are very near death and have little time to live. The phrase can also describe a project or plan or campaign that that is on the brink of failure./UsingEnglish

Kati Svaby/
_________________

chop and change | following directions
buy some gift wrapsupplier's catalogueBelieve inWhat is a clean bill of health?stringent mathematical equations.getting paid chump changeThey really broke upa major black eyecompensation package.skim over the written detailsFind the mistakes and correct them.Talk to or talk withstandardizing basic information