to waver; to be uncertain; to vacillate; to falter; to be indecisive
signify
tie
hesitate
permit

There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence.

Believe in | supplier's catalogue
There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence. #1 (permalink) Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:03 am   There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence.

"The chief put up the Chinese ......... up on me when I asked who would be in charge of interviewing the victims. He said that I didn't need to know and wouldn't say anything more on the case.

(a) food
(b) people
(c) products
(d) walls

"The chief put up the Chinese walls up on me when I asked who would be in charge of interviewing the victims. He said that I didn't need to know and wouldn't say anything more on the case.

Correct answer: (d) walls
_________________________

.
.
_________________

There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence. #2 (permalink) Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:31 am   There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence.

Hi, Amy

I'm with you on this one :)

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence. #3 (permalink) Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:57 am   There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence.

mmhmm

I'd go with removing the first "up"...i think
Benjamin

Location: London

There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence. #4 (permalink) Fri Jul 04, 2008 13:07 pm   There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence.

Hi Amy, Alex and Ben,

Many thanks for your support -- we've removed the first "up" as you suggested.

TOEIC listening, photographs: The lone climber

There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence. #5 (permalink) Sun Jul 06, 2008 0:21 am   There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence.

But, what does "put the Chinese walls up on someone" mean?

Englishholic
Englishholic

There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence. #6 (permalink) Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:12 am   There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence.

Hi Englishholic

Does this definition of "Chinese Wall" do the trick for you?
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/chinesewall.asp
.
_________________

Question 1 #7 (permalink) Fri Dec 17, 2010 15:44 pm   Question 1

"The chief put the Chinese Wall up on me..." I didn't found the meaning of this idiom, so I think this can mean that my chief rounded up on me for my asking? Am I right or not?

The Chinese Wall is mentioned here than a virtual insurmountable, impassable wall whereas it is a real physical wall.

Thanks:
_________________

There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence. #8 (permalink) Fri Dec 17, 2010 19:14 pm   There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence.

Hi Kati,

A Chinese wall in the sense that it is in this question is a virtual wall, put up to stop leaks between departments of a company that might have different- and colliding - interests.
_________________

There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence. #9 (permalink) Fri Dec 17, 2010 22:21 pm   There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence.

Hi BZ

I don't understand, please help me.

What is: put the Chinese wall up on me...?
I found:
put up a good fight
put up a stout resistance
put up an argument in these sentences put up means: offer or make

Here I would understand if there was: put up the Chinese wall on me...
You've written: put up to stop leaks...information leaks?
What doesn't mean here put up to...or put the Chinese wall up on me ?

Explain me please than you would explain to a child.
Thanks:
Kati
_________________

There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence. #10 (permalink) Fri Dec 17, 2010 22:30 pm   There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence.

If you 'put up' a wall (or put a wall up), 'put up' in this sense means erect or build a wall.

Imagine a company where there are two departments. Department A is there to investigate customer complaints that are made about department A.
Department B would not want anyone from department A to be able to falsify any part of the complaints procedure.
So Department B would 'put up a Chinese wall' (figuratively, not literally). In other words, they would make sure there were procedures in place to stop anyone from department A being able to see or do anything with the complaints before the investigation was completed.

I don't know for certain, but I imagine it's called a Chinese wall because the Great Wall of China had the function of keeping enemies out.
_________________

There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence. #11 (permalink) Fri Dec 17, 2010 22:42 pm   There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence.

Hello BZ,

Thanks for your quick answer now I would understand if there wasn't there :
on me. What is it looking for there? The chief wants to erect the Chinese Walls on me ?
Kati
_________________

There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence. #12 (permalink) Fri Dec 17, 2010 22:44 pm   There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence.

'on me' here means the same as 'in front of me' - he used the wall to keep me out.
_________________

Chinese wall #13 (permalink) Sat Dec 18, 2010 20:50 pm   Chinese wall

Hi BZ,

My English friend who lives here in Hungary for 50 years and she translates from English to Hungarian, novels, screenplays etc.

I asked her what is her opinion about this idiom. First she thought this will be a simple thing but not.

She told me she never met with this idiom. She told me that not the first "up" shouldn't have omitted, the sentence is comprehensible if it begins: "The Chief put up the Chinese Wall on me... and she thinks its meaning is: the chief put up on me a barrier to stop me talking.

What is your opinion?
Kati
_________________

There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence. #14 (permalink) Sat Dec 18, 2010 23:00 pm   There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence.

I agree that one 'up' shouldn't be there.

It doesn't matter which one though.
Both of these work:
The chief put up the Chinese wall on me.
The chief put the Chinese wall up on me.
_________________

There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence. #15 (permalink) Sat Dec 18, 2010 23:11 pm   There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence.

Hello Bz.

Kati
_________________

Believe in | supplier's catalogue
convicted of a felony in the US20/20 visionhalf a dozen tractorspassing throughproved equal to the occasionbuy some gift wrapWhat is a clean bill of health?chop and changestringent mathematical equations.They really broke upfollowing directionsTalk to or talk withstandardizing basic information