Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to waver; to be uncertain; to vacillate; to falter; to be indecisive
signify
tie
hesitate
permit
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence.

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Believe in | supplier's catalogue
listening exercises
There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence. #1 (permalink) Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:03 am   There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence.

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #320 "English Slang Idioms (41)", question 1

"The chief put up the Chinese ......... up on me when I asked who would be in charge of interviewing the victims. He said that I didn't need to know and wouldn't say anything more on the case.

(a) food
(b) people
(c) products
(d) walls

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #320 "English Slang Idioms (41)", answer 1

"The chief put up the Chinese walls up on me when I asked who would be in charge of interviewing the victims. He said that I didn't need to know and wouldn't say anything more on the case.

Correct answer: (d) walls

There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence.

There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence. #2 (permalink) Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:31 am   There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence.

Hi, Amy

I'm with you on this one :)
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence. #3 (permalink) Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:57 am   There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence.

mmhmm

I'd go with removing the first "up"...i think
Benjamin
You can meet me at english-test.net

There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence. #4 (permalink) Fri Jul 04, 2008 13:07 pm   There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence.

Hi Amy, Alex and Ben,

Many thanks for your support -- we've removed the first "up" as you suggested.
Regards,
Torsten

TOEIC listening, photographs: The lone climber
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence. #5 (permalink) Sun Jul 06, 2008 0:21 am   There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence.

But, what does "put the Chinese walls up on someone" mean?

Thanks,

Englishholic
Englishholic
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence. #6 (permalink) Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:12 am   There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence.

Hi Englishholic

Does this definition of "Chinese Wall" do the trick for you?
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/chinesewall.asp

Question 1 #7 (permalink) Fri Dec 17, 2010 15:44 pm   Question 1

Hello,

"The chief put the Chinese Wall up on me..." I didn't found the meaning of this idiom, so I think this can mean that my chief rounded up on me for my asking? Am I right or not?

The Chinese Wall is mentioned here than a virtual insurmountable, impassable wall whereas it is a real physical wall.

Kati Svaby

There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence. #8 (permalink) Fri Dec 17, 2010 19:14 pm   There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence.

Hi Kati,

A Chinese wall in the sense that it is in this question is a virtual wall, put up to stop leaks between departments of a company that might have different- and colliding - interests.
Language Coach

There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence. #9 (permalink) Fri Dec 17, 2010 22:21 pm   There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence.

Hi BZ

I don't understand, please help me.

What is: put the Chinese wall up on me...?
I found:
put up a good fight
put up a stout resistance
put up an argument in these sentences put up means: offer or make

Here I would understand if there was: put up the Chinese wall on me...
You've written: put up to stop leaks...information leaks?
What doesn't mean here put up to...or put the Chinese wall up on me ?

Explain me please than you would explain to a child.
Kati

There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence. #10 (permalink) Fri Dec 17, 2010 22:30 pm   There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence.

If you 'put up' a wall (or put a wall up), 'put up' in this sense means erect or build a wall.

Imagine a company where there are two departments. Department A is there to investigate customer complaints that are made about department A.
Department B would not want anyone from department A to be able to falsify any part of the complaints procedure.
So Department B would 'put up a Chinese wall' (figuratively, not literally). In other words, they would make sure there were procedures in place to stop anyone from department A being able to see or do anything with the complaints before the investigation was completed.

I don't know for certain, but I imagine it's called a Chinese wall because the Great Wall of China had the function of keeping enemies out.
Language Coach

There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence. #11 (permalink) Fri Dec 17, 2010 22:42 pm   There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence.

Hello BZ,

Thanks for your quick answer now I would understand if there wasn't there :
on me. What is it looking for there? The chief wants to erect the Chinese Walls on me ?
Thanks.
Kati

There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence. #12 (permalink) Fri Dec 17, 2010 22:44 pm   There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence.

'on me' here means the same as 'in front of me' - he used the wall to keep me out.
Language Coach

Chinese wall #13 (permalink) Sat Dec 18, 2010 20:50 pm   Chinese wall

Hi BZ,

My English friend who lives here in Hungary for 50 years and she translates from English to Hungarian, novels, screenplays etc.

I asked her what is her opinion about this idiom. First she thought this will be a simple thing but not.

She told me she never met with this idiom. She told me that not the first "up" shouldn't have omitted, the sentence is comprehensible if it begins: "The Chief put up the Chinese Wall on me... and she thinks its meaning is: the chief put up on me a barrier to stop me talking.

What is your opinion?
Kati

There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence. #14 (permalink) Sat Dec 18, 2010 23:00 pm   There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence.

I agree that one 'up' shouldn't be there.

It doesn't matter which one though.
Both of these work:
The chief put up the Chinese wall on me.
The chief put the Chinese wall up on me.
Language Coach

There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence. #15 (permalink) Sat Dec 18, 2010 23:11 pm   There seems to be one "up" too many in this sentence.

Hello Bz.

Thanks.
Kati

Believe in | supplier's catalogue
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
convicted of a felony in the US20/20 visionhalf a dozen tractorspassing throughproved equal to the occasionbuy some gift wrapWhat is a clean bill of health?chop and changestringent mathematical equations.They really broke upfollowing directionsTalk to or talk withstandardizing basic information