ingredient; single piece which forms part of a larger unit; part; constituent; element
component
behind
step
offensive

meaning of sly

what makes the answer to be 'himself'? | Present progressive?
meaning of sly #1 (permalink) Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:12 am   meaning of sly

"We are taking care of Wes's dog on the ......... at the moment until he gets back from his business trip. We are not allowed to have a dog in this apartment complex but we agreed to watch the dog for a week since it is unlikely we will be caught in that amount of time," Rex told Pat.

(a) underground
(b) spy
(c) sly
(d) down and under

"We are taking care of Wes's dog on the sly at the moment until he gets back from his business trip. We are not allowed to have a dog in this apartment complex but we agreed to watch the dog for a week since it is unlikely we will be caught in that amount of time," Rex told Pat.

Correct answer: (c) sly
_________________________

what sly means?

Mudko
Mudko

meaning of sly #2 (permalink) Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:25 pm   meaning of sly

to do something "on the sly" means to do something in a way intended to escape notice
basically to do something you are not supposed to do and trying not to be found.

In this case the thing that is not allowed is to have a dog in the apartment complex. The person they are trying to hide the dog from is the landlord.

the word "sly" by itself means "cunning, clever"
Benjamin

Location: London

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
meaning of flailwhat does brigade means?difference between employment and duty"stand a chance" vs "stand a place"until vs. whenmeaning of "Lap of the semester"What is wrong with the term rough patch/patches in this context?How it is Harry and not John or anyone else?Is this expression correct? ...We'll see "whose" right...meaning of "dressing table"'Put in' vs 'Put out'Is it possible to obtain business English reading materials to teach to students?Expression "as best as you can"