Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

examination; careful inspection; debate
propensity
attendant
information
canvass
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

"stand a chance" vs "stand a place"

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
difference between employment and duty | meaning of flail
listening exercises
"stand a chance" vs "stand a place" #1 (permalink) Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:57 am   "stand a chance" vs "stand a place"

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #522 "English Slang Idioms (264)", question 3

"I don't think you should run for school president, Mike. I like you but I don't think you'll stand a .......... The other candidates are much more popular and have more money," Craig said.

(a) shot
(b) chance
(c) place
(d) placement

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #522 "English Slang Idioms (264)", answer 3

"I don't think you should run for school president, Mike. I like you but I don't think you'll stand a chance. The other candidates are much more popular and have more money," Craig said.

Correct answer: (b) chance

Why not place?

Myrra
Myrra

"stand a chance" vs "stand a place" #2 (permalink) Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:41 am   "stand a chance" vs "stand a place"

'Stand a place' is not an English idiom-- in fact, I don't know what it might mean.

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
"stand a chance" vs "stand a place" #3 (permalink) Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:44 am   "stand a chance" vs "stand a place"

Hi, MM

May "stand a place" mean "to protect the place from enemy, not allow the enemy to occupy it"?

Thanks!
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

"stand a chance" vs "stand a place" #4 (permalink) Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:26 pm   "stand a chance" vs "stand a place"

lost_soul wrote:
Hi, MM

May "stand a place" mean "to protect the place from enemy, not allow the enemy to occupy it"?

Thanks!

I think you are thinking along the lines of "stand firm" or "last stand" but I agree with Mr Micawber, I cannot really see how the particular phrase "stand a place" would mean anything in any context.

possibly one..."I can't stand that place"
i.e. to be able to stand a place
Benjamin
You can meet me at english-test.net

"stand a chance" vs "stand a place" #5 (permalink) Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:32 pm   "stand a chance" vs "stand a place"

Benjamin wrote:
I think you are thinking along the lines of "stand firm" or "last stand" but I agree with Mr Micawber,

No, I was thinking of "I will stand my ground and won't budge an inch".
But perhaps "stand one's ground" is idiomatic and "stand a place" does not work. I searched Google for examples, but in vain. :(
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

"stand a chance" vs "stand a place" #6 (permalink) Mon Jul 07, 2008 16:25 pm   "stand a chance" vs "stand a place"

lost_soul wrote:
But perhaps "stand one's ground" is idiomatic and "stand a place" does not work. I searched Google for examples, but in vain. :(
I bet you wouldn't have one iota of trouble finding "stand in a line", though. That is a very valid collocation. :mrgreen:
(But that was a different test question, wasn't it?) :wink:

"stand a chance" vs "stand a place" #7 (permalink) Mon Jul 07, 2008 17:12 pm   "stand a chance" vs "stand a place"

Yankee wrote:
I bet you wouldn't have one iota of trouble finding "stand in a line", though. That is a very valid collocation. :mrgreen:
(But that was a different test question, wasn't it?) :wink:

Yeah, I suppose I would stand a fat chance of finding "stand in a line" on the internet :lol:
(by the way, do you use "to stand a chance" in positive sentences, like I just did ? )
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

"stand a chance" vs "stand a place" #8 (permalink) Mon Jul 07, 2008 17:39 pm   "stand a chance" vs "stand a place"

Good question about usage, Alex.

You wrote this:
"Yeah, I suppose I would stand a fat chance of finding "stand in a line" on the internet."

"Stand a fat chance" is basically an emphatic way to say "do not stand a chance" -- i.e. "the possibility (of something happening) is extremely unlikely".

I'd say 'stand a chance' is mostly used negatively or carries a negative sense:

- "I don't stand a chance of winning." (I believe there is no hope that I will win.)

- "Do I stand a chance of winning?" (This suggests that I am not particularly hopeful that I will win.)

By the way, in AmE, both 'stand in line' and 'stand in a line' are used in reference to people in a 'queue', and these American usages are not difficult to research and verify. Unfortunately, on this site, it seems some people would rather categorize the valid AmE usage of 'stand in a line' as simply being 'incorrect'. It seems we don't stand a chance of having that other test sentence rectified. :?

"stand a chance" vs "stand a place" #9 (permalink) Mon Jul 07, 2008 17:46 pm   "stand a chance" vs "stand a place"

Yankee wrote:
"Stand a fat chance" is basically an emphatic way to say "do not stand a chance" -- i.e. "the possibility (of something happening) is extremely unlikely".

Then I misused the "stand a fat chance" expresion. What I meant to say is that I would have a big chance of finding "stand in a line"

In fact, I did this mistake because "fat" in my mind always has to do with something big, but, as you said, if I say I stand a fat chance of survival it will mean that basically I don't stand a chance of survival.

I hope that this time I didn't mess anything up, did I ? :? :D
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

"stand a chance" vs "stand a place" #10 (permalink) Mon Jul 07, 2008 17:51 pm   "stand a chance" vs "stand a place"

Hi Alex

The expression 'fat chance' seems as though it should (literally) mean 'big chance', but 'fat chance' is typically used ironically/sarcastically.

difference between employment and duty | meaning of flail
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
sausages at the butcher's?What does keep it down mean?What does 'casting a long shadow' mean?arrangements vs confirmations'...who or who slept with...' or just '...who slept with...'?what is backburner?what does brigade means?"A friend of mine" of "A friend of me"until vs. whenmeaning of "Lap of the semester"meaning of slyHow it is Harry and not John or anyone else?Is this expression correct? ...We'll see "whose" right...