Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

selection; choice; assortment; accumulation
time
collection
tense
subordinate
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

what is backburner?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
"A friend of mine" of "A friend of me" | arrangements vs confirmations
listening exercises
what is backburner? #1 (permalink) Mon Jul 07, 2008 15:36 pm   what is backburner?

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #544 "English Slang Idioms (147)", question 3

"I am going to have to put my plans to travel on the .......... until I have more vacation days saved up. I only have six days at the moment and I want to be able to travel for at least two weeks," Jacob told his coworker and best friend.

(a) wish transcript
(b) second objective
(c) backburner
(d) back seats

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #544 "English Slang Idioms (147)", answer 3

"I am going to have to put my plans to travel on the backburner. until I have more vacation days saved up. I only have six days at the moment and I want to be able to travel for at least two weeks," Jacob told his coworker and best friend.

Correct answer: (c) backburner

Your answer was: incorrect
"I am going to have to put my plans to travel on the back seats. until I have more vacation days saved up. I only have six days at the moment and I want to be able to travel for at least two weeks," Jacob told his coworker and best friend.

dear sir,
Would you explain what is backburner please?
bobby
bobby

what is backburner? #2 (permalink) Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:13 am   what is backburner?

A backburner is the rearmost cooking element of a kitchen stove. The idiom is 'to put on the backburner', which means 'to postpone'.

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
"A friend of mine" of "A friend of me" | arrangements vs confirmations
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
meaning of "all hell broke loose"sausages at the butcher's?What does keep it down mean?'To keep company' - slang expression or an expression of the spoken english?What does 'chapter and verse' mean?What does 'casting a long shadow' mean?What is the meaning and origin of the phrase 'a castle in the sky'?promising vs promisedwhere to use solitary?'...who or who slept with...' or just '...who slept with...'?meaning of flailwhat does brigade means?difference between employment and duty