to set up a center of operations; to be set up in a center of operations
calculate
prospect
headquarter
simulate

I thought since 'idle mind is the devil's workshop', idle thoughts would be...

"...that made him...", isn't it? | What does 'decorating the mahagony' mean?
I thought since 'idle mind is the devil's workshop', idle thoughts would be... #1 (permalink) Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:16 am   I thought since 'idle mind is the devil's workshop', idle thoughts would be...

"I hope Paul finds a job this summer. It will keep him out of trouble. You know what they say -- idle ......... are the devil's work," Millie said to Ian.

(a) thoughts
(b) speeches
(c) hands
(d) friends

"I hope Paul finds a job this summer. It will keep him out of trouble. You know what they say -- idle hands are the devil's work," Millie said to Ian.

Correct answer: (c) hands
_________________________

I thought since 'idle mind is the devil's workshop', idle thoughts would be suitable here.

Priya Raghavan
Priya Raghavan

Idle hands #2 (permalink) Wed Jul 09, 2008 18:16 pm   Idle hands

Hi Priya,
Your reasoning makes logical sense but the saying - in this case - is "idle hands." The logic is that if you don't have anything to do (if you aren't productive/working), you're more likely to get into trouble.
_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
thrown in prision vs. thrown in the prisonWhat is the meaning of forsaken?The idiomatic expression ' to latch onto'Why is "you have forgiven me"?Odd use of 'will'"...dropped it like it was ...", isn't it?What does 'chapter and verse' mean?What is the meaning and origin of the phrase 'a castle in the sky'?promising vs promisedwhere to use solitary?What does migrate mean?Usage of the phrasal verb "count on"What does 'assignmet' mean?