something that is the same of the same level
equivalent
award
repo
break

What does keep it down mean?

arrangements vs confirmations | What does 'casting a long shadow' mean?
What does keep it down mean? #1 (permalink) Tue Jul 08, 2008 15:55 pm   What does keep it down mean?

"I know that it is summer time and it's light outside until late but you two are going to have to keep it ......... out here while you are playing. A lot of the people who live closeby have to wake up really early to go to work and they can't sleep with you two screaming and yelling until all hours of the night," Allen told his two boys.

(a) away
(b) down
(c) up
(d) closed

"I know that it is summer time and it's light outside until late but you two are going to have to keep it down out here while you are playing. A lot of the people who live closeby have to wake up really early to go to work and they can't sleep with you two screaming and yelling until all hours of the night," Allen told his two boys.

Correct answer: (b) down
_________________________

what's the meaning of "to keep it down"? Maybe something like "keep quiet"?

Hella
Hella

What does keep it down mean? #2 (permalink) Tue Jul 08, 2008 15:57 pm   What does keep it down mean?

yes
if you tell someone to keep it down then yes, you are basically telling them to be quiet. it might be a more polite way of saying it.

the "it" in "keep it down" refers to the "noise level"
Benjamin

Location: London

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Odd use of 'will'meaning of "all hell broke loose"sausages at the butcher's?'To keep company' - slang expression or an expression of the spoken english?"...dropped it like it was ...", isn't it?What does 'chapter and verse' mean?What is the meaning and origin of the phrase 'a castle in the sky'?promising vs promisedwhere to use solitary?'...who or who slept with...' or just '...who slept with...'?meaning of flailwhat is backburner?what does brigade means?