person who belongs to an organization or group; part; organ
member
locksmith
gain
manager

Usage of real, existent, living or alive

Question beginning with 'if not.' | Meaning of "run through"
Usage of real, existent, living or alive #1 (permalink) Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:38 am   Usage of real, existent, living or alive

Please help me with this sentence:
The ..... information we have now is far from enough.
a. real
b. existent
c. living
d. alive
_________________
On earth there is nothing great but man, in man there is nothing great but mind.
Sophie

Usage of real, existent, living or alive #2 (permalink) Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:53 am   Usage of real, existent, living or alive

.
What do you think? Hint: I think none are good answers.
.
_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Usage of real, existent, living or alive #3 (permalink) Wed Jul 09, 2008 15:23 pm   Usage of real, existent, living or alive

Hello! I'm sorry for being so lazy. I know the best way to learn is thinking carefully before asking. I know I should have my oppinion first and then you'll give yours to explain whether I'm right or wrong. I've got it.
Well, I think the answer for this is B. But I'm not satisfied with it. Maybe none're good answers.
What do you think about it?
_________________
Sophie

Usage of real, existent, living or alive #4 (permalink) Wed Jul 09, 2008 15:26 pm   Usage of real, existent, living or alive

I also think none of those answers are good answers.

I think you need a word that suggests quantity or amount
Benjamin

Location: London

Usage of real, existent, living or alive #5 (permalink) Wed Jul 09, 2008 15:32 pm   Usage of real, existent, living or alive

Hi Benjamin!
According to you, what should the answer be, apart from the answers given which isn't suitable?
_________________
Sophie

Usage of real, existent, living or alive #6 (permalink) Wed Jul 09, 2008 15:44 pm   Usage of real, existent, living or alive

umm well the sentence is a bit ambiguous and could have several things there.
What is certain is the speaker of the sentence has some information but needs more.

So to point you in the right direction...you could say "the level of information is far from enough"
information is an "uncountable noun" and so always needs a word to help quantify it.
its like "water"
you can't have a singular water...you need to quantify it with words such as "a cup of water" or "a bottle of water" or "a sip of water"

information is the same. So that's why I think something quantifying the information rather than describing the information is needed.
Benjamin

Location: London

Usage of real, existent, living or alive #7 (permalink) Wed Jul 09, 2008 15:49 pm   Usage of real, existent, living or alive

Well, I've got it. Thanks a lot.
_________________
Sophie

Usage of real, existent, living or alive #8 (permalink) Wed Jul 09, 2008 22:49 pm   Usage of real, existent, living or alive

.
My view is that B was indeed intended to be the right answer, but that a different form-- existing-- would be the natural choice if it weren't redundant (existing = that we have now):

The existing information we have now is far from enough.
.
_________________

affect or has an effect"Prices keep rising" or "Prices keep growing"?does "a couple weeks" mean two?Didn't? Confused... Are singular verbs take singular subject right?Congratulations! Your web site help me a lot.Is it right to say "How about you?""How long have you come back?"Phrase "I'm only young"Phrase "I think it good"?Usage of rare, sparse or scarceUsage of pretty, quite, rather, fairly"give in" or "give up"About the subjunctive mood