Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

person who belongs to an organization or group; part; organ
locksmith
gain
manager
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Usage of real, existent, living or alive

ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Question beginning with 'if not.' | Meaning of "run through"
listening exercises
Usage of real, existent, living or alive #1 (permalink) Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:38 am   Usage of real, existent, living or alive

Please help me with this sentence:
The ..... information we have now is far from enough.
a. real
b. existent
c. living
d. alive
Thank you.

Usage of real, existent, living or alive #2 (permalink) Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:53 am   Usage of real, existent, living or alive

What do you think? Hint: I think none are good answers.

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Usage of real, existent, living or alive #3 (permalink) Wed Jul 09, 2008 15:23 pm   Usage of real, existent, living or alive

Hello! I'm sorry for being so lazy. I know the best way to learn is thinking carefully before asking. I know I should have my oppinion first and then you'll give yours to explain whether I'm right or wrong. I've got it.
Well, I think the answer for this is B. But I'm not satisfied with it. Maybe none're good answers.
What do you think about it?

Usage of real, existent, living or alive #4 (permalink) Wed Jul 09, 2008 15:26 pm   Usage of real, existent, living or alive

I also think none of those answers are good answers.

I think you need a word that suggests quantity or amount
Benjamin
You can meet me at english-test.net

Usage of real, existent, living or alive #5 (permalink) Wed Jul 09, 2008 15:32 pm   Usage of real, existent, living or alive

Hi Benjamin!
According to you, what should the answer be, apart from the answers given which isn't suitable?

Usage of real, existent, living or alive #6 (permalink) Wed Jul 09, 2008 15:44 pm   Usage of real, existent, living or alive

umm well the sentence is a bit ambiguous and could have several things there.
What is certain is the speaker of the sentence has some information but needs more.

So to point you in the right direction...you could say "the level of information is far from enough"
information is an "uncountable noun" and so always needs a word to help quantify it.
its like "water"
you can't have a singular water...you need to quantify it with words such as "a cup of water" or "a bottle of water" or "a sip of water"

information is the same. So that's why I think something quantifying the information rather than describing the information is needed.
Benjamin
You can meet me at english-test.net

Usage of real, existent, living or alive #7 (permalink) Wed Jul 09, 2008 15:49 pm   Usage of real, existent, living or alive

Well, I've got it. Thanks a lot.

Usage of real, existent, living or alive #8 (permalink) Wed Jul 09, 2008 22:49 pm   Usage of real, existent, living or alive

My view is that B was indeed intended to be the right answer, but that a different form-- existing-- would be the natural choice if it weren't redundant (existing = that we have now):

The existing information we have now is far from enough.

Question beginning with 'if not.' | Meaning of "run through"
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
affect or has an effect"Prices keep rising" or "Prices keep growing"?does "a couple weeks" mean two?Didn't? Confused... Are singular verbs take singular subject right?Congratulations! Your web site help me a lot.Is it right to say "How about you?""How long have you come back?"Phrase "I'm only young"Phrase "I think it good"?Usage of rare, sparse or scarceUsage of pretty, quite, rather, fairly"give in" or "give up"About the subjunctive mood