denial; rejection
refusal
instructor
belief
anticipation

Distinguish "enable" and "empower"

What does "need I say less" mean? | What do we call this part of a shoelace?
Distinguish "enable" and "empower" #1 (permalink) Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:46 am   Distinguish "enable" and "empower"

:? I'm doing an English comprehension exercise and being confused by choosing answer for a space in it .
:?: " This weapon , together with the development of steam - power ships , ........... the whalers to hunt the fast-moving fin and blue whales "
A . managed B.employed C.enabled D.empowered

I'm confused between two answers C and D . It seems as if they had the same meaning
Help me , please .....in choosing the answer and explain for me

Thanks so much in advance !!!
Giang93

Distinguish "enable" and "empower" #2 (permalink) Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:54 am   Distinguish "enable" and "empower"

'Enable' has the idea of making it possible to do something as in: A freezer enables you to keep food frozen for long periods of time.
'Empower' is used in an abstract way to indicate giving authority to someone to do something as in: The newly elected president felt that the enormous majority he acquired over his rivals empowered him to carry out these reforms.

_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Distinguish "enable" and "empower" #3 (permalink) Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:14 am   Distinguish "enable" and "empower"

Thank you so much , Alan
If it's as what you explained , the answer is C. explained , right ??
Giang93

Distinguish "enable" and "empower" #4 (permalink) Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:14 am   Distinguish "enable" and "empower"

Thank you so much , Alan
If it's as what you explained , the answer is C. explained , right ?? :)
Giang93

Distinguish "enable" and "empower" #5 (permalink) Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:19 am   Distinguish "enable" and "empower"

Yes, indeed.

_________________

next past tense? for example...Question about "start or begin""at will" vs "by will"Usage of start and beginConfused with exercise: Translation, as a skill on its own, is not perhaps...English morphology and syntaxwhen do I use "if" and "whether"?Calculation of earnings and expensesPast Perfect vs Past Simpleaffect or has an effect"Prices keep rising" or "Prices keep growing"?Didn't? Confused... Are singular verbs take singular subject right?Text: The dentist is using a filling that has the same color of the real tooth...