action; step; criterion; amount; degree; extent
component
address
imagination
measure

Difference between depict and describe

Meaning of ago | I'm sure you'll make it in the end
Difference between depict and describe #1 (permalink) Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:53 am   Difference between depict and describe

Test No. errors/advan-10 "Late at the Office", question 9

Then there happened what can only be depicted as a miracle because she arrived at the office at nine.

(a) Then
(b) what
(c) depicted
(d) at

Test No. errors/advan-10 "Late at the Office", answer 9

Then there happened what can only be described as a miracle because she arrived at the office at nine.

Correct entry: described
The error was: (c) depicted

You have not found the error.
suddenly there happened what can only be depicted as a miracle because she arrived at the office at nine.
_________________________

depict and describe aren't the same? http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=depict&x=23&y=15
What is the difference here?
Pilar

Difference between depict and describe #2 (permalink) Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:55 am   Difference between depict and describe

As your dictionary says both words are generally the same in meaning but not in use. Depict is used to give an exact description rather like a picture but describe is far more general in the idea it gives as in this sentence. The sentence can only be described as a miracle has the same general meaning as you can only say it was like a miracle.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Each garment is markedWhat is a paper tiger? Is it an idiom?Reinvent the wheelWhat does 'figure out' mean here?Difference between consumption and consumingLead a dog's lifeDifference between amass and increasePut your feet upWhat does this phrase mean: "Keep it up"?Difference between admission and admittanceAlternativelyWhat does 'has no bearing on' mean here?Left high and dry