preoccupied; lost in thought
absent
urban
hard
fair

Test of time and meaning of duration

How to translate the word 'parro' into English? | Put it to the test
Test of time and meaning of duration #1 (permalink) Fri Mar 25, 2005 17:05 pm   Test of time and meaning of duration

Test No. incompl/inter-59 "Testing, Testing", question 1

This castle has been here since the 16th century and hasn't really changed - it has stood the test of ..........

(a) duration
(b) time
(c) history
(d) length

Test No. incompl/inter-59 "Testing, Testing", answer 1

This castle has been here since the 16th century and hasn't really changed - it has stood the test of time.

Correct answer: (b) time

This castle has been here since the 16th century and hasn't really changed - it has stood the test of duration.
_________________________

why not use duration

Test of time and meaning of duration #2 (permalink) Fri Mar 25, 2005 20:16 pm   Test of time and meaning of duration

Duration is a specific length or period of time. In this sentence I am writing about time as an abstract idea and there is no limit to it.
_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
question 1 #3 (permalink) Fri Dec 24, 2010 22:47 pm   question 1

We can say: The Cheops Pyramid stood the test of time.
Its synonym: The Cheops Pyramid withstood the test of centuries.
_________________

Dying to heartest pilotsIs "plume" a french or english word?it must be justifiedstick to itcover all of your bases?constantly turning your headfall deeply in love.It will come as no surprisemore interesting vs. most interestingmake some coffee.cut vs. reduce vs. snip vs. curtailStructure of sentence: Obviously before you buy a car, you'll be allowed to test