stated briefly but clearly; clear and concise; short and to the point
succinct
temporary
irrelevant
committed

How to record audio files?

I'd like to get conversations in English that I can hear it in my mobile... | Japan YouTube - Watch Japanese Video Clips - Funny
How to record audio files? #1 (permalink) Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:06 am   How to record audio files?

Hi everybody,

It would be great if you could share your experiences with recording voice files. We want to create audio versions of our printed materials and are looking for the best equipment and software. We used to use an AVL2500 microphone by AV-Jefe with a separate Speaka pre-amplifier but either the mic or the pre-amplifier broke down and I think it's time to look for something smaller and handier.

Please let us know what you think.
Many thanks,

TOEIC listening, talks: University professor of literature introduces herself to her new students

How to record audio files? #2 (permalink) Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:10 am   How to record audio files?

I'm working on yours, as we speak :wink:
_________________
Test of English as a Foreign Language
TOEFL Preparation & TOEFL Vocabulary
Learn more: How to Become an English Teacher
Ralf
Ralf Breheny

Location: the world

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
How to record audio files? #3 (permalink) Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:17 am   How to record audio files?

Hi Ralf,

That's great to hear. What do you think of this mic?

TOEIC listening, talks: Waiter welcomes guests and informs them about the night's specials

How to record audio files? #4 (permalink) Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:46 am   How to record audio files?

Hi Torsten,

You need a condenser mike (Kondensatormikrofon) for voice recordings. I'd go for this one here
_________________
Test of English as a Foreign Language
TOEFL Preparation & TOEFL Vocabulary
Ralf
Ralf Breheny

Location: the world

How to record audio files? #5 (permalink) Tue Aug 19, 2008 14:09 pm   How to record audio files?

I was told by the recording expert at a large music equipment store that a MacBook laptop with a decent microphone and some software like Audacity, Amadeus, SoundStudio, etc., is as good for remote recording as most professional recording equipment, for both sound and music. Who knows if he's right.

How to record audio files? #6 (permalink) Tue Aug 19, 2008 15:25 pm   How to record audio files?

I'd say he is. I'm using the apple Garage software and a simple USB condenser mic. Does the trick!
_________________
Test of English as a Foreign Language
TOEFL Preparation & TOEFL Vocabulary
Ralf
Ralf Breheny

Location: the world

How to record audio files? #7 (permalink) Tue Aug 19, 2008 18:57 pm   How to record audio files?

Hi Ralf,

I think you did an excellent job with your recording ("just the works, indeed") and I look forward to your next files. Thanks a lot for your efforts!

PS: How did you do this "telephone sound" -- does your software program come with such a feature?

TOEIC listening, talks: Voice mail for bank client about special interest rate offer on CD purchase

How to record audio files? #8 (permalink) Tue Aug 19, 2008 22:03 pm   How to record audio files?

Thank you Torsten. As for the telephone sound, it's very easy to manipulate. My software has an equalizer function, and all I did was tweak down the first and last (out of seven) controls down completely. Glad you like it!
_________________
Test of English as a Foreign Language
TOEFL Preparation & TOEFL Vocabulary
Ralf
Ralf Breheny

Location: the world

How to record audio files? #9 (permalink) Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:24 am   How to record audio files?

Hi Ralf,

How are you today? Thanks a lot for all your support, especially for your help in finding the best audio recording/editing software. It would be great if you could tell me what you think of the sound quality of these recordings.

I'm asking because those recordings were made on mini-tape recorder and then converted into MP3 files. I think the sound quality is amazing -- the background noise stems from the voices in the restaurant and it was left there on purpose. So I'm just thinking if was possible back then to produce audio recordings of this quality, then it should be a piece of cake with the equipment and technology available today. It's probably just a few things we have to take care of.

Anyway, let me know what you think.

TOEFL listening lectures: A lecture from a history class

How to record audio files? #10 (permalink) Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:04 pm   How to record audio files?

Hi Torsten,

Thank you for your comment. The quality of both recordings is really very good! Only that Ed doesn't have a Cockney accent, but a pretty smooth London accent :wink: Does Raymond live in Leipzig? I've never met him...
_________________
Test of English as a Foreign Language
TOEFL Preparation & TOEFL Vocabulary
Ralf
Ralf Breheny

Location: the world

How to record audio files? #11 (permalink) Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:07 pm   How to record audio files?

Hi Ralf,

Yes Raymond Romanos has lived in Leipzig since 1996 so it's high time you met him in person :-).

TOEFL listening lectures: In October of which year did Vaudeville officially appear?

How to record audio files? #12 (permalink) Wed Sep 10, 2008 17:51 pm   How to record audio files?

Hi everybody,

What do you think of this Samson mic? I'm quite intrigued by this:

"The Samson Q1U, C01U & C03U are designed to be fully functional without installing the SoftPre applet software using the standard drivers included in your computer's operating system. However if you would like added functionality of the Samson SoftPre applet (Input Level Meter, Volume control, High-pass filter and Phase Switch), you may download the appropriate one for your operating system below."

Any suggestions?

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between an upperclassman and a freshman coed

less confidenceWhat's your average speaking rate (WPM)?Callan teacher speaking like in the classroom?Motivation for Poetry AppreciationIs this true?Is there any value in learning lists of words from vocabulary books?Writting skill reminder to everyone who are interested!what is the phrasal verb for knife?Lack of emphasis on NPs in ESLPost 0-4 conditionalsESL teaching positions still available in ChinaLighten up with linguisticsMolly's Playground