timetable; agenda; itinerary; plan
schedule
retail
commercial
funnel

Native speakers wanted!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anyone "Linkedin" | Crocodile Dundee was German
Native speakers wanted! #46 (permalink) Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:01 am   Native speakers wanted!

They just say that they don't understand native speakers without making the effort to analyze what exactly it is that they don't "understand".

If they are not aware of the distinction, it's not a case of being lazy, of not "making the effort", is it, T?
Molly

Native speakers wanted! #47 (permalink) Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:02 am   Native speakers wanted!

Hi Molly, I think you are saying this because you will never be able to speak like Brandee.

TOEFL listening lectures: What makes 'The Canterbury Tales' easier to understand?

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Native speakers wanted! #48 (permalink) Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:07 am   Native speakers wanted!

Torsten wrote:

That's a rather odd thought, T, if I may say so. You asked for opinions and now you want only those which suit you and your goals, right? Do you agree with Lost Soul regarding Brandee sounding "unrealistic"?

And why would I want to speak like Brandee anyway?
Molly

Native speakers wanted! #49 (permalink) Thu Sep 04, 2008 15:40 pm   Native speakers wanted!

Molly wrote:
Do you agree with Lost Soul regarding Brandee sounding "unrealistic"?

Actually, I'm afraid I have to take back my words. After I made that statement, I have discovered lots of Brandee's recordings on this site and in most of them she's quite fast and uses lots of phrasal verbs and slang, so now I cannot say she sounds "unrealistic".

Native speakers wanted! #50 (permalink) Thu Sep 04, 2008 16:20 pm   Native speakers wanted!

lost_soul wrote:

I was referring to your original comment and that particular recording. That's the one Torsten, seemed, to want feedback on.
Molly

Native speakers wanted! #51 (permalink) Thu Sep 04, 2008 16:38 pm   Native speakers wanted!

We would like to collect feedback on all the recordings we have on our site.

TOEFL listening lectures: What happened at the Potsdam Conference?

Native speakers wanted! #52 (permalink) Thu Sep 04, 2008 16:46 pm   Native speakers wanted!

Torsten wrote:

Great. I'll give a few more a listen.

Let's hope you haven't got more insults up your sleeve, eh?

???
Molly

Native speakers wanted! #53 (permalink) Thu Sep 04, 2008 17:11 pm   Native speakers wanted!

hi Torsten

As I have a busy schedule I could only get back to you now on your point concerning me taking over from the Okie.

I think the problem is two fold, in that trainers often have a version bias, and therefore do not think to include various listening exercises in their lessons from different sources.

Also the learners take for granted the challenge of a rounded learning process, that goes hand in hand with reliance on the trainer for the audio material, and thus listening exercises.

If you combine both of the above the result is a learner who really has a very thin self learning system, and not very effective input. The result is a one dimensional learner who is confident in the safe, familiar environment of the classroom but outside of this box has little diversity.
_________________
Please meet Stewart Tunncilff
Stew.t.

Location: Leipzig, Germany

Native speakers wanted! #54 (permalink) Thu Sep 04, 2008 18:58 pm   Native speakers wanted!

Guys,

It's important to consider the speaker's level. Brandee surely speaks to fast for A2 learners (except when she introduces the piece of writing), and the exercise here is clearly addressed to A2 learners. If you feel like learning Spanish or Russian or Chinese, you don't want to listen to someone who reads at a speed of 60 pagers per hour; the natural speed of someone who has read an easy script many times before recording it.

Read it as if you had to make sense of it yourself while reading it, then your intonation will improve and your speed decrease in a natural way.
_________________
Test of English as a Foreign Language
TOEFL Preparation & TOEFL Vocabulary
Learn more: How to Become an English Teacher
Ralf
Ralf Breheny

Location: the world

Native speakers wanted! #55 (permalink) Fri Sep 05, 2008 0:18 am   Native speakers wanted!

I thought the three voices (Brandee, Martin, Stew) worked well in combination.

I wonder whether it would be useful for ESL students to have three versions of each text.

MrP
MrPedantic

Location: Southern England

Brandee's Readings #56 (permalink) Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:07 am   Brandee's Readings

Hello All! :D

Thank you for your feedback. I am not an English teacher. I own a marketing company and am a world traveler. I came across this site while seeking "speaking" jobs. This is not my written material, so any "slang" or "phrasal verb" usage is not my own. I am reading text. This is the first time I have done anything like this. I have never read text for anyone at anytime. I am a public speaker. I tend to talk far too fast for most people. When I looked at this website and the goal of teaching english, I intentionally slowed my speech down for the purpose of helping people learn english. I read the criticism for sounding slow and boring. I was then told to pick up the pace. I picked up the pace and then was described as "lifeless". There is issue of typos, that I stumble across. I initially took it upon myself to repair that myself. However if you read the text...some of the time it does not make sense. As I am not an english teacher, I do not think I should take it upon myself to correct someone else's writing. Additionally it helps to show where the typos are, by hearing it read as it is written. Of course we have the challenge of British English and American English.

Ideally, "constructive" criticism would be best. This is the first time I have ever tried to read text for people. There are a lot of different opinions out there. We have a saying where I live..."you cannot please all of the people all of the time and only some of the people some of the time." Anything that you can say that can help me to do a better job and that in fact helps you to do a better job would help us all. I will read slower, faster, more emotion, less emotion, like text, not like text...???? It is very confusing. If you read the text, most of the time the stories do not "flow" as they are strictly being used to make a point and not be a real story.

Whew...with all of that said. I welcome constructive criticism and anything that can help me to do my job better. Anything that I can do to help you accomplish your goals, please let me know!? Please remember. I am not a teacher, have never been a teacher, do not know who my audience is and I am relying on you to guide me in this.

Thank you all!

Brandee :D
Brandee

Location: Marathon, FL Florida Keys

Native speakers wanted! #57 (permalink) Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:16 am   Native speakers wanted!

MrPedantic wrote:

MrP

I think that's a good idea. Allow 'em to get used to listening to different people with different speaking styles.
Martino

Location: Manila, Philippines

Native speakers wanted! #58 (permalink) Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:51 am   Native speakers wanted!

If we go here http://accent.gmu.edu/ we can have many versions of the same text.
Molly

Native speakers wanted! #59 (permalink) Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:06 am   Native speakers wanted!

I have never read text for anyone at anytime. I am a public speaker. I tend to talk far too fast for most people. When I looked at this website and the goal of teaching english, I intentionally slowed my speech down for the purpose of helping people learn english. I read the criticism for sounding slow and boring. I was then told to pick up the pace. I picked up the pace and then was described as "lifeless".

As I am not an english teacher, I do not think I should take it upon myself to correct someone else's writing.

I think the problem here is not with you, Brandee. Speaking written text is a skill, and let no one say it isn't. The problem here also lies with the register or style of the texts that are presented, they are written-written texts, IMO, and not really texts that leasily lend themselves to spoken communication. As an experiment, do try taking one of the texts and changing it so it "becomes your own", re-record it and let Torsten and Alan see where they should be going with all this.

Keep your chin up.

If you read the text, most of the time the stories do not "flow" as they are strictly being used to make a point and not be a real story
.

I agree. I personally think the texts on this site are not that well-written. They need work.
Molly

Brandee's Readings #60 (permalink) Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:31 am   Brandee's Readings

Brandee wrote:
"you cannot please all of the people all of the time and only some of the people some of the time." Anything that you can say that can help me to do a better job and that in fact helps you to do a better job would help us all. I will read slower, faster, more emotion, less emotion, like text, not like text...????

Well roared, lion :D

You're right, you can't please everybody. There are 10 cooks and 10 recipes, and at the end of the day the broth is spoilt. The broth - material for learners of the English language - should be presented in a way that it invites guests/learners to stay. The restaurant owners - Alan and Torsten - provide you with recipes, material and money. You can make amendments to obvious mistakes and give your feedback to the hands that feed you, but you should stay on track as far as the cuisine goes (coz it ain't your restaurant).

Brandee, you have a very good voice, accent and intonation. Familiarise yourself with the text prior to recording it, and then read it emphatically. The rest will follow :P
_________________
Test of English as a Foreign Language
TOEFL Preparation & TOEFL Vocabulary
Ralf
Ralf Breheny

Location: the world

free (international) conference callsmaking friendsIs the DVD on its way out?First film remote Amazon rainforest tribeYour feedback on the new shop?Zeitgeist 3The Haunting in ConnecticutFemale Irish Travel writer Dervla Murphy to join Irish boat in flotilla to GazaInformal english?Problems with interviewsWhich Microsoft Technologies will conquer the world of programming?Country I'd like to visitClay figures go home