to enlarge; to add to; to multiply; to raise; to intensify
pass
occasion
harness
increase

phrase 'to give help and sympathy someone'

Verb "abandon to" ("abandon him to his fate") | there was a bishop who during mass offered the host at the end of a pole
phrase 'to give help and sympathy someone' #1 (permalink) Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:24 am   phrase 'to give help and sympathy someone'

When I looked up the word 'succour', here is what I found in the Longman Dictionary:

succour [literary]
succour (BrE)
succor (AmE)
to give help and sympathy someone

=> I find the underlined phrase so strange... Why isn't it 'to give help and sympathy to someone' or 'to give help and sympathise someone'? Do you think it's a typo?

Many thanks,
Nessie.
_________________
:(... something we never have again, I know... I guess I really really know.. :(

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...
Nessie

phrase 'to give help and sympathy someone' #2 (permalink) Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:03 am   phrase 'to give help and sympathy someone'

Hi Nessie,

It certainly seems that way. You can either say: give someone help and sympathy or give help and sympathy to someone.

_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Dialogue used in American English?Problem with preposition (during, for, before, etc.)meaning of "kicking the tires"Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, and its KNOW HOW featuremeaning of "the tragic futlity of his ordinary"meaning of "smiles fam"making great strides in/with?give me a ride to / drive me to / take me toWhat is imperative in passive?Usage of 'working out of'How to use delusion and elusion? What is the meaning of them?"Building is painted" vs "Building has been painted"Questions on the conditionals story