equipment; device for lifting and lowering objects
minority
measure
requirement
tackle

meaning of "the tragic futlity of his ordinary"

Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, and its KNOW HOW feature | As part of vs. as a part of
meaning of "the tragic futlity of his ordinary" #1 (permalink) Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:18 pm   meaning of "the tragic futlity of his ordinary"

By the time he was wandering in the mysterious garden again in the colours of the morning the tragic futulity of his ordinary mien had fallen from him.

the tragic futulity of his ordinary?
Volcano1985

meaning of "the tragic futlity of his ordinary" #2 (permalink) Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:33 pm   meaning of "the tragic futlity of his ordinary"

Hi Volcano,

Should this be 'futility'? I would suggest this should read:

By the time he was wandering in the mysterious garden again in the colours of the morning,the tragic futility of his ordinary mien had fallen from him.

Suggesting that he had had one sort of facial expression and then later the tragic pointlessness (resignation) of his usual facial expression (mien) had come back again.

_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
meaning of "the tragic futlity of his ordinary" #3 (permalink) Sat Aug 23, 2008 15:44 pm   meaning of "the tragic futlity of his ordinary"

And why past perfect used in the sentence ?
Volcano1985

difference between after getting vs after gotCould vs Can (Is it correct to say, 'I think I could get the job'?)What is the difference between connectors and transition signals?"He said, she is happy"- In any situation, is this correct?Dialogue used in American English?Prat the British version of "jerk"?Problem with preposition (during, for, before, etc.)meaning of "kicking the tires"phrase 'to give help and sympathy someone'meaning of "smiles fam"give me a ride to / drive me to / take me toWhat is imperative in passive?Questions on the conditionals story