Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to force; to coerce; to influence; to impose; to demand
compel
wrong
possess
regress
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

meaning of "kicking the tires"

ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
there was a bishop who during mass offered the host at the end of a pole | Problem with preposition (during, for, before, etc.)
listening exercises
meaning of "kicking the tires" #1 (permalink) Sat Aug 23, 2008 14:30 pm   meaning of "kicking the tires"

Hello,

Could you explain for me the meaning of "kicking the tires".

Many thanks.
Ann Nguyen
You can meet me at english-test.net

meaning of "kicking the tires" #2 (permalink) Sat Aug 23, 2008 14:50 pm   meaning of "kicking the tires"

Hi Ann

The expression 'kick the tires' suggests a superficial method of checking a car's quality and/or condition.
It is sometimes used in a more figurative sense to simply mean (more generally) superficially check of the quality of something.

For some background information on this expression, look here.

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
meaning of "kicking the tires" #3 (permalink) Sat Aug 23, 2008 14:55 pm   meaning of "kicking the tires"

Thank Amy, you're so helpful.

Ann^^
Ann Nguyen
You can meet me at english-test.net

there was a bishop who during mass offered the host at the end of a pole | Problem with preposition (during, for, before, etc.)
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
What is the difference between connectors and transition signals?Dialogue used in American English?Prat the British version of "jerk"?Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, and its KNOW HOW featuremeaning of "the tragic futlity of his ordinary"phrase 'to give help and sympathy someone'meaning of "smiles fam"give me a ride to / drive me to / take me toWhat is imperative in passive?Usage of 'working out of'How to use delusion and elusion? What is the meaning of them?Questions on the conditionals storyVerb "abandon to" ("abandon him to his fate")