to arrange in proper order
coordinate
advertise
call
litter

Problem with preposition (during, for, before, etc.)

meaning of "kicking the tires" | Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, and its KNOW HOW feature
Problem with preposition (during, for, before, etc.) #1 (permalink) Sat Aug 23, 2008 14:51 pm   Problem with preposition (during, for, before, etc.)

I found that preposition is always my difficulty, so please help me corect these following sentences.

1. It's rained during the night for two or three hours.

2. Henry is 63. He'll be retireing from his job before two years' time.

3. In Britain people send each other cards on Christmas and many people go to the church on Christmas Day.

4. We're having a party on New Year's Eve.

5. The office will be closed during Christmas and New Year.

Many thanks.
Ann Nguyen

Problem with preposition #2 (permalink) Sat Aug 23, 2008 15:02 pm   Problem with preposition

Hi Ann

Here are my suggestions (words in boldface type are corrections):

1. It rained during the night for two or three hours.

2. Henry is 63. He'll be retiring from his job within two years.
I would say either 'in two years' time' or 'within two years'. 'Within two years' seems to be the meaning you intended (i.e. in no more than two years' time).

3. In Britain people send each other cards at Christmas and many people go to the church on Christmas Day.
(Christmas cards are generally sent during the period of time just before Christmas Day.)

5. The office will be closed on Christmas (Day) and New Year ('s Day).
If the office will be closed on more than just those two days, you might say this, for example:
The office will be closed between December 25th and January 1st.

_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
What is the difference between connectors and transition signals?"He said, she is happy"- In any situation, is this correct?Dialogue used in American English?Prat the British version of "jerk"?meaning of "the tragic futlity of his ordinary"phrase 'to give help and sympathy someone'meaning of "smiles fam"give me a ride to / drive me to / take me toWhat is imperative in passive?Usage of 'working out of'How to use delusion and elusion? What is the meaning of them?Questions on the conditionals storyVerb "abandon to" ("abandon him to his fate")