lifeless; spiritless
ideal
alive
inanimate
versatile

do it in a jiffy?

Did you know the origin of the word wiki? | 'If the office is open until five' vs 'If the office will be open until five'
do it in a jiffy? #1 (permalink) Sat Aug 23, 2008 19:01 pm   do it in a jiffy?

I've just come across the expression "to something in a jiffy" and I find it very interesting. What do you think of it? I mean how often do you hear it or use it yourself?

TOEIC short conversations: Employee offers to help her co-worker with his report.

do it in a jiffy? #2 (permalink) Sat Aug 23, 2008 22:16 pm   do it in a jiffy?

It's very common in the United States, but I seldom use it.

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
do it in a jiffy? #3 (permalink) Sun Aug 24, 2008 0:12 am   do it in a jiffy?

.
And very casual. I probably use it without thinking-- my mother used it.
.
_________________

do it in a jiffy? #4 (permalink) Sun Aug 24, 2008 0:51 am   do it in a jiffy?

.
Of the people I know who use the word 'jiffy', quite a few use it this way nowadays:
..

And lots of people used to use it very often this way:
....................

....:D
_________________

do it in a jiffy? #5 (permalink) Mon Aug 25, 2008 13:01 pm   do it in a jiffy?

I first saw the phrase 'in a jiffy' in the series of 'Donald and friends' by Walt Disney :D
By the way, what do you mean by those two pictures, Amy? I found only one definition for 'jiffy' in my dictionaries - a short time/a moment.
And by the way (again:D) are both 'in a jiffy' and 'in a nick of time' used in both BrE and AmE?

Thank you very much,
Nessie.
_________________
:(... something we never have again, I know... I guess I really really know.. :(

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...
Nessie

do it in a jiffy? #6 (permalink) Mon Aug 25, 2008 13:14 pm   do it in a jiffy?

Jiffy Lube is a chain of shops that change the oil in cars very quickly. ("Lube" is short for lubricate.)

Jiffy Pop is popcorn that comes from a store already in a pan with oil and everything needed to pop it. You just have to heat it on the stove and cut open the foil "bubble" that rises during cooking, and you can eat it without a bowl. It is ready in a jiffy, because you didn't have to do all the usual preparations. It has been sold since the days before microwave ovens, and many people think it is off the market. It's still available, though. It tastes better than microwave popcorn. (I still make popcorn the old way, in a pot with oil.)

Nowadays, there is a type of Jamaican knit cap that some Americans call a jiffy pop hat.

Every English people vs. Every English personwhat is a difference between "intent" and "intention"?Construction "they had been running..."?Phrase 'I can't help myself'usage of "fawn"difference between after getting vs after gotCould vs Can (Is it correct to say, 'I think I could get the job'?)historic vs. historicalExpression "unless he be a lunatic"as God (as v.s. is) my witnessSalesperson vs Salespersons"that" vs. "which" in attributive clauseWhat is the difference between connectors and transition signals?