Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to delete; to skip over; to neglect
complicate
crop
omit
resist
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Dialogue used in American English?

ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Indirect/direct speech question (Layla said to me; to wait here until she return) | "What' s on your mind?" vs "What's in your mind?"
listening exercises
Dialogue used in American English? #1 (permalink) Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:43 am   Dialogue used in American English?

Hi,

I sometimes see US websites uses the word "dialogue" (British spelling). What might be the reason for this?

Thanks,
Torsten

TOEIC short conversations: A man asks a woman about a bus schedule
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Dialogue used in American English? #2 (permalink) Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:00 pm   Dialogue used in American English?

I don't think that those spelling differences are so strictly observed as grammar books would suggest, Torsten. The difference is there, but it is crumbling-- especially with Canada in the middle, so to speak. The same is true of others pairs--'theater/theatre', 'color/colour', etc. In this case, for many AmE writers, 'dialog' seems like an abbreviation, I think, and 'dialogue' seems more formally correct.

Where writers are writing for publication, their publishers certainly have stricter guidelines, but websites are pretty much editor-free, aren't they?

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Dialogue used in American English? #3 (permalink) Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:22 pm   Dialogue used in American English?

Hi Torsten

As you've noticed, 'dialogue' is not just the "British" spelling. It is also American spelling. If you check an American dictionary, you'll see that 'dialog' is a variant spelling used in AmE (i.e. 'dialog' is also used).
http://www.bartleby.com/61/56/D0195600.html

In American English, I do not think using the spelling 'dialog' rather than 'dialogue' is comparable to using 'catalog' rather than 'catalogue', for example. I'd say 'catalog' is more firmly fixed as "the" usual American spelling than 'dialog' is.

Indirect/direct speech question (Layla said to me; to wait here until she return) | "What' s on your mind?" vs "What's in your mind?"
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
difference between after getting vs after gotCould vs Can (Is it correct to say, 'I think I could get the job'?)Expression "unless he be a lunatic"Did you know the origin of the word wiki?What is the difference between connectors and transition signals?"He said, she is happy"- In any situation, is this correct?do it in a jiffy?Prat the British version of "jerk"?Problem with preposition (during, for, before, etc.)meaning of "kicking the tires"Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, and its KNOW HOW featuremeaning of "the tragic futlity of his ordinary"phrase 'to give help and sympathy someone'