to delete; to skip over; to neglect
complicate
crop
omit
resist

Dialogue used in American English?

Indirect/direct speech question (Layla said to me; to wait here until she return) | "What' s on your mind?" vs "What's in your mind?"
Dialogue used in American English? #1 (permalink) Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:43 am   Dialogue used in American English?

I sometimes see US websites uses the word "dialogue" (British spelling). What might be the reason for this?

TOEIC short conversations: A man asks a woman about a bus schedule

Dialogue used in American English? #2 (permalink) Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:00 pm   Dialogue used in American English?

.
I don't think that those spelling differences are so strictly observed as grammar books would suggest, Torsten. The difference is there, but it is crumbling-- especially with Canada in the middle, so to speak. The same is true of others pairs--'theater/theatre', 'color/colour', etc. In this case, for many AmE writers, 'dialog' seems like an abbreviation, I think, and 'dialogue' seems more formally correct.

Where writers are writing for publication, their publishers certainly have stricter guidelines, but websites are pretty much editor-free, aren't they?
.
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Dialogue used in American English? #3 (permalink) Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:22 pm   Dialogue used in American English?

Hi Torsten

As you've noticed, 'dialogue' is not just the "British" spelling. It is also American spelling. If you check an American dictionary, you'll see that 'dialog' is a variant spelling used in AmE (i.e. 'dialog' is also used).
http://www.bartleby.com/61/56/D0195600.html

In American English, I do not think using the spelling 'dialog' rather than 'dialogue' is comparable to using 'catalog' rather than 'catalogue', for example. I'd say 'catalog' is more firmly fixed as "the" usual American spelling than 'dialog' is.
.
_________________

difference between after getting vs after gotCould vs Can (Is it correct to say, 'I think I could get the job'?)Expression "unless he be a lunatic"Did you know the origin of the word wiki?What is the difference between connectors and transition signals?"He said, she is happy"- In any situation, is this correct?do it in a jiffy?Prat the British version of "jerk"?Problem with preposition (during, for, before, etc.)meaning of "kicking the tires"Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, and its KNOW HOW featuremeaning of "the tragic futlity of his ordinary"phrase 'to give help and sympathy someone'