Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to alter; to change; to fluctuate
aim
adorn
idle
vary
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Did you know the origin of the word wiki?

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Expression "unless he be a lunatic" | do it in a jiffy?
listening exercises
Did you know the origin of the word wiki? #1 (permalink) Sun Aug 24, 2008 22:33 pm   Did you know the origin of the word wiki?

Hi,

I've just read that the word "wiki" (I usually use it as google keyword to find something on Wikipedia), was coined by Ward Cunnigham in 1995. It's supposed to be Hawaiian and means "very quick".

Interesting, isn't it?
Torsten

TOEIC short conversations: A catering customer orders food by phone
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Did you know the origin of the word wiki? #2 (permalink) Mon Aug 25, 2008 0:27 am   Did you know the origin of the word wiki?

Why don't you just bookmark or tab Wikipedia, then?-- it'd save you some keystrokes.

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Did you know the origin of the word wiki? #3 (permalink) Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:16 am   Did you know the origin of the word wiki?

Hi Charles,

Many thanks for your suggestion. Since I use the Google Toolbar, it's quicker to simply type in "direct shift gearbox wiki" and click on the search button. If I bookmark Wikipedia, I have to first open the Wikipedia page, then to type in the search string, then to hit "search". Also, if I misspell something, Google makes a suggestion while Wikipedia simply says "not such entry" and I have to correct the search string myself.

TOEIC short conversations: An employee introduces the intern to her co-worker
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Did you know the origin of the word wiki? #4 (permalink) Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:28 am   Did you know the origin of the word wiki?

Ah, I see. I get confused with all those toolbars-- and they cramp the screen.

Expression "unless he be a lunatic" | do it in a jiffy?
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Every English people vs. Every English personwhat is a difference between "intent" and "intention"?Construction "they had been running..."?Phrase 'I can't help myself'usage of "fawn"difference between after getting vs after gotCould vs Can (Is it correct to say, 'I think I could get the job'?)historic vs. historicalSalesperson vs Salespersons"that" vs. "which" in attributive clauseWhat is the difference between connectors and transition signals?"He said, she is happy"- In any situation, is this correct?Dialogue used in American English?