Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

particularly
severely
either
previously
especially
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Could vs Can (Is it correct to say, 'I think I could get the job'?)

ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
"He said, she is happy"- In any situation, is this correct? | difference between after getting vs after got
listening exercises
Could vs Can (Is it correct to say, 'I think I could get the job'?) #1 (permalink) Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:56 am   Could vs Can (Is it correct to say, 'I think I could get the job'?)

Thanks a lot for the answers I received regarding to my question on "Revert". I have another question to ask here.Is it correct to say,"I think I could get the job." My friend says it isn't correct usage because you can't use 'could' when you are speaking at the moment of time(Present Tense).He says that it implies I'm not so sure of getting it.He says I should say," I think I can get the job." Please clarify. Thanks!
Jps
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Could vs Can (Is it correct to say, 'I think I could get the job'?) #2 (permalink) Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:14 am   Could vs Can (Is it correct to say, 'I think I could get the job'?)

Hi JPS,

Both 'can' and 'could' relate to possibility/ability to differing degrees. When you say: I can do that, you are really saying it is possible for me to or I am able to do something. When you say: I could do that, you are saying it would be possible for me to or I would be able to do something.

Back to your sentence: I think I could get the job - you are saying that you believe you would be able/it would be possible for you to get the job. Time is not relevant here because the emphasis is on how likely you are to get the job and the use of 'could' isn't as definite as 'can'. In other words 'can' gives the sense of : Yes, that's no problem and 'could' suggests an element of doubt: Well, I think so but there are one or two problems.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
"He said, she is happy"- In any situation, is this correct? | difference between after getting vs after got
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
what is a difference between "intent" and "intention"?Phrase 'I can't help myself'usage of "fawn"Expression "unless he be a lunatic"Did you know the origin of the word wiki?Salesperson vs Salespersons"that" vs. "which" in attributive clauseWhat is the difference between connectors and transition signals?Dialogue used in American English?do it in a jiffy?Prat the British version of "jerk"?Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, and its KNOW HOW featuremeaning of "the tragic futlity of his ordinary"