respected position; honor; nobility
export
document
dignity
leisure

what is the meaning of pathetic?

Fair vs. fare? | Idiom "lock, stock and barrel" is still in use today?
what is the meaning of pathetic? #1 (permalink) Mon Aug 25, 2008 14:40 pm   what is the meaning of pathetic?

"I hate how things change sometimes. I used to love hanging out with Gracie but now her life is a ......... opera and I have to hear every little detail. This friend broke up with that one. It is pathetic!" Gina said to Arlene.

(a) wax
(b) pipe
(c) scrub
(d) soap

"I hate how things change sometimes. I used to love hanging out with Gracie but now her life is a soap opera and I have to hear every little detail. This friend broke up with that one. It is pathetic!" Gina said to Arlene.

Correct answer: (d) soap

"I hate how things change sometimes. I used to love hanging out with Gracie but now her life is a scrub opera and I have to hear every little detail. This friend broke up with that one. It is pathetic!" Gina said to Arlene.
_________________________

what is the meaning of pathetic?

Lipo
Lipo

what is the meaning of pathetic? #2 (permalink) Mon Aug 25, 2008 22:45 pm   what is the meaning of pathetic?

Hello Lipo,

In an ordinary context, to say that something is "pathetic" is to express contempt for it.

Best wishes,

MrP
MrPedantic

Location: Southern England

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
what is the meaning of pathetic? #3 (permalink) Mon Aug 25, 2008 23:59 pm   what is the meaning of pathetic?

It can also refer to something or someone who is "pitifully inferior or inadequate."
_________________

What does reason mean?deal vs executeslang for an athleteWhy do you use "other" in the sentence?meaning of "throw in the towel"meaning of "keep your chin up"Sentence: After the revolution, the ex-president eventually found a safe...What is personal possession?The sea was very calm?adapt vs accommodatethrown in prision vs. thrown in the prisonWhat does 'get hold of' mean?meaning of 'pull the plug'