not genuine; simulated; unreal
gross
artificial
diverse
proof

Sentence: After the revolution, the ex-president eventually found a safe...

What is personal possession? | meaning of "keep your chin up"
Sentence: After the revolution, the ex-president eventually found a safe... #1 (permalink) Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:49 am   Sentence: After the revolution, the ex-president eventually found a safe...

Hi !
I am confused with choosing the best answer for a sentence :" After the revolution , the ex-president eventually found a safe _______ in the Far East ."
A.refuge B.sanctuary C.haven D.asylum

I'm considering between A and D . They have the same meaning so i can't make out what to choose
Help me to choose the best answer and tell me the difference between 2 words , please
Thank for every help in advance ! :)
Giang93

choose the best answer for a question #2 (permalink) Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:26 am   choose the best answer for a question

Hi Giang,

You could use all of them, but the most natural collocation is 'to find a save haven'. Even a turtle must find and leave its safe haven :D

When a turtle sticks its neck (and head) out, it becomes more vulnerable (in the open) to predators. But a turtle must leave the safe haven of its shell to eat...

_________________
Test of English as a Foreign Language
TOEFL Preparation & TOEFL Vocabulary
Learn more: How to Become an English Teacher
Ralf
Ralf Breheny

Location: the world

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Sentence: After the revolution, the ex-president eventually found a safe... #3 (permalink) Tue Aug 26, 2008 13:02 pm   Sentence: After the revolution, the ex-president eventually found a safe...

.
Yes, it is a fixed phrase:

Main Entry: safe haven
Part of Speech: n
Definition: a place of protection or refuge; a protected zone within a country for members of a religious or ethnic minority

(from Dictionary.com)
.
_________________

Is this a use of the 'get-passive'?Usage of the word "Search" as idiomMeaning of "Will you pick up the tab for dinner?"What does reason mean?deal vs executeslang for an athleteWhy do you use "other" in the sentence?meaning of "throw in the towel"what is the meaning of pathetic?Fair vs. fare?The sea was very calm?Idiom "lock, stock and barrel" is still in use today?adapt vs accommodate