to answer adequately or successfully
angle
house
field
graduate

Usage of the word "Search" as idiom

Meaning of "Will you pick up the tab for dinner?" | Is this a use of the 'get-passive'?
Usage of the word "Search" as idiom #1 (permalink) Thu Aug 28, 2008 14:04 pm   Usage of the word "Search" as idiom

"You don't have any idea where my miter saw is? I can't find it anywhere," Chris said to Linda. She replied, "......... me. I have no idea. Did you check the garage really thoroughly?"

(a) Watch
(b) Search
(c) Examine
(d) Critique

"You don't have any idea where my miter saw is? I can't find it anywhere," Chris said to Linda. She replied, "Search me. I have no idea. Did you check the garage really thoroughly?"

Correct answer: (b) Search
_________________________

what is idiom?

Kiott
Kiott

Usage of the word "Search" as idiom #2 (permalink) Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:36 am   Usage of the word "Search" as idiom

.
An idiom is a group of words that together have a different or extended meaning from the separate meanings of the individual words in the group. In this case, 'search me' means more than just 'search' (= examine, look for) + 'me'; 'search me' means 'I have no idea'.
.
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
What does the slang expression "a hang-up" mean?What's the most famous bridge in London?suited vs. adjustedWhat does 'to rule the house' mean?whats the meaning of flea market?What does ferry mean?What does 'brought the house down' mean?What does get around mean?What does reason mean?deal vs executeslang for an athleteWhy do you use "other" in the sentence?meaning of "throw in the towel"