Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to presume to be true; to hypothesize; to believe
grant
remember
dot
suppose
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Is this a use of the 'get-passive'?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Usage of the word "Search" as idiom | What does 'brought the house down' mean?
listening exercises
Is this a use of the 'get-passive'? #1 (permalink) Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:07 am   Is this a use of the 'get-passive'?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #397 "English Slang Idioms (132)", question 1

"Jim got caught stealing from the country store. I am not surprised since his brother had got caught earlier for the same thing. It's a case of monkey see, monkey ......... in my opinion," Jack told his wife when she brought up the neighbors' kids.

(a) copy
(b) do
(c) perpetuate
(d) learn

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #397 "English Slang Idioms (132)", answer 1

"Jim got caught stealing from the country store. I am not surprised since his brother had got caught earlier for the same thing. It's a case of monkey see, monkey do in my opinion," Jack told his wife when she brought up the neighbors' kids.

Correct answer: (b) do

Jim got caught stealing
What does this Tense mean?
Paddty

Is this a use of the 'get-passive'? #2 (permalink) Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:04 am   Is this a use of the 'get-passive'?

= John was caught stealing. This is a use of the 'get-passive'.

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Usage of the word "Search" as idiom | What does 'brought the house down' mean?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
a turn for the better vs. a turn for the bestWhat does the slang expression "a hang-up" mean?What's the most famous bridge in London?suited vs. adjustedWhat does 'to rule the house' mean?whats the meaning of flea market?What does ferry mean?Meaning of "Will you pick up the tab for dinner?"What does get around mean?What does reason mean?deal vs executeslang for an athleteWhy do you use "other" in the sentence?