despite the fact that; in spite of the fact that
directly
yet
until
although

'used to something' vs 'used to doing' and Present perfect

ESL Forums | English for Beginners
I am Mahboobeh, I am working as quality expert at a computer company... | Question words / Open questions (Unit 10)
'used to something' vs 'used to doing' and Present perfect #1 (permalink) Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:48 am   'used to something' vs 'used to doing' and Present perfect

the meaning of them are completely differant, aren't they? what state we must use in each?
Pattana

'used to something' vs 'used to doing' and Present perfect #2 (permalink) Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:31 am   'used to something' vs 'used to doing' and Present perfect

He used to wake up at 6 AM in the morning (but now he does not)
He is used to waking up at 6 AM in the morning (he is accustomed to waking up at 6 AM)

Hope this explains the matter.

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
'used to something' vs 'used to doing' and Present perfect #3 (permalink) Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:17 am   'used to something' vs 'used to doing' and Present perfect

Very good, Alex!

Edit: AM+in the morning=tautologous :wink:
_________________
Test of English as a Foreign Language
TOEFL Preparation & TOEFL Vocabulary
Learn more: How to Become an English Teacher
Ralf
Ralf Breheny

Location: the world

'used to something' vs 'used to doing' and Present perfect #4 (permalink) Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:32 am   'used to something' vs 'used to doing' and Present perfect

Ralf wrote:
Very good, Alex!

Thanks !
Ralf wrote:

Couldn't agree more.

'used to something' vs 'used to doing' and Present perfect #5 (permalink) Mon Jun 10, 2013 21:53 pm   'used to something' vs 'used to doing' and Present perfect

I used to excersise three to four times a week, not anymore.

I am used to go on vacation with my sister family, I can not feel as happy as with her.

Is it clear now?
Yvette
Yvette Hennes

Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Re: 'used to something' vs 'used to doing' and Present perfect #6 (permalink) Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:14 am   Re: 'used to something' vs 'used to doing' and Present perfect

Yvette Hennes wrote:

Is it clear now?
Yvette

Actually in your last example it should be "I am used to going on vacatio with...".
_________________

'Used to' = past and present #7 (permalink) Sun Aug 18, 2013 20:37 pm   'Used to' = past and present

Subject + used to + infinitive (no preposition) = what you did repetatively in the past and what you no longer do.

e.g. She used to eat croissants when she was not celiac.

Subject + conjugation of to be in present tense + used to + gerund = what you are accustomed to doing in the present (although this can essentially touch the past and future).

e.g. She is used to eating croissants. She has done it for 2 years.

All the best. Profesor de inglés vía Skype
Mark Skype Teacher

Location: Ecuador

ESL Forums | English for Beginners All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Grammar sentenceCorrect usage to say - saturday morning was come. from tom sawyer adventure.Does the 3 years of physical presence have to be continuous or accumulation?Superlative form of Adjective and personality.offintroduce myrselfIs this possible ?What is the correct and why to say?I'm a fourth year studentanswer the questionsClausesPresent Perfect (Unit 16)Days, Months etc. II (Unit 13)