Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

despite the fact that; in spite of the fact that
directly
yet
until
although
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

'used to something' vs 'used to doing' and Present perfect

ESL Forums | English for Beginners
I am Mahboobeh, I am working as quality expert at a computer company... | Question words / Open questions (Unit 10)
listening exercises
'used to something' vs 'used to doing' and Present perfect #1 (permalink) Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:48 am   'used to something' vs 'used to doing' and Present perfect

the meaning of them are completely differant, aren't they? what state we must use in each?
Pattana
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

'used to something' vs 'used to doing' and Present perfect #2 (permalink) Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:31 am   'used to something' vs 'used to doing' and Present perfect

He used to wake up at 6 AM in the morning (but now he does not)
He is used to waking up at 6 AM in the morning (he is accustomed to waking up at 6 AM)

Hope this explains the matter.
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
'used to something' vs 'used to doing' and Present perfect #3 (permalink) Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:17 am   'used to something' vs 'used to doing' and Present perfect

Very good, Alex!

Edit: AM+in the morning=tautologous :wink:
Ralf
Language Coach
Ralf Breheny

'used to something' vs 'used to doing' and Present perfect #4 (permalink) Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:32 am   'used to something' vs 'used to doing' and Present perfect

Ralf wrote:
Very good, Alex!

Thanks !
Ralf wrote:
Edit: AM+in the morning=tautologous :wink:

Couldn't agree more.
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

'used to something' vs 'used to doing' and Present perfect #5 (permalink) Mon Jun 10, 2013 21:53 pm   'used to something' vs 'used to doing' and Present perfect

I used to excersise three to four times a week, not anymore.

I am used to go on vacation with my sister family, I can not feel as happy as with her.

Is it clear now?
Yvette
Yvette Hennes
You can meet me at english-test.net

Re: 'used to something' vs 'used to doing' and Present perfect #6 (permalink) Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:14 am   Re: 'used to something' vs 'used to doing' and Present perfect

Yvette Hennes wrote:
I used to excersise three to four times a week, not anymore.

I am used to go on vacation with my sister family, I can not feel as happy as with her.

Is it clear now?
Yvette

Actually in your last example it should be "I am used to going on vacatio with...".
I'm a Communicator ;-)

'Used to' = past and present #7 (permalink) Sun Aug 18, 2013 20:37 pm   'Used to' = past and present

Subject + used to + infinitive (no preposition) = what you did repetatively in the past and what you no longer do.

e.g. She used to eat croissants when she was not celiac.

Subject + conjugation of to be in present tense + used to + gerund = what you are accustomed to doing in the present (although this can essentially touch the past and future).

e.g. She is used to eating croissants. She has done it for 2 years.

All the best. Profesor de inglés vía Skype
Mark Skype Teacher

I am Mahboobeh, I am working as quality expert at a computer company... | Question words / Open questions (Unit 10)
ESL Forums | English for Beginners All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Grammar sentenceCorrect usage to say - saturday morning was come. from tom sawyer adventure.Does the 3 years of physical presence have to be continuous or accumulation?Superlative form of Adjective and personality.offintroduce myrselfIs this possible ?What is the correct and why to say?I'm a fourth year studentanswer the questionsClausesPresent Perfect (Unit 16)Days, Months etc. II (Unit 13)