Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to warn; to scold; to reprove
arrange
schedule
disappear
admonish
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does 'to rule the house' mean?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What does get around mean? | What does the slang expression "a hang-up" mean?
listening exercises
What does 'to rule the house' mean? #1 (permalink) Fri Aug 29, 2008 19:53 pm   What does 'to rule the house' mean?

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #41 "American Slang Words (15)", question 4

My baby sister rules the house. She's so spoiled!

(a) dominates
(b) cleans
(c) occupies

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #41 "American Slang Words (15)", answer 4

My baby sister dominates the house. She's so spoiled!

Correct answer: (a) dominates

What does rules mean this sentence?
Nena

What does 'to rule the house' mean? #2 (permalink) Fri Aug 29, 2008 20:24 pm   What does 'to rule the house' mean?

Hi,

'Rule' in this sense suggests 'control'. The baby sister does exactly what she wants and the other members of the family have to do what she wants. In that way she controls/rules the house.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
What does 'to rule the house' mean? #3 (permalink) Fri Aug 29, 2008 22:41 pm   What does 'to rule the house' mean?

Would you say "ruling the house" is similar to "ruling the roost"?

What does 'to rule the house' mean? #4 (permalink) Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:30 am   What does 'to rule the house' mean?

Hi Yankee

I think they are the similiar in that both are referring to the dominance of a territory and people or birds respectively.

If you have the rule of the house, you make all important decisions.

However I think the "rooster" idiom to me gives an impression of an enforced male dominance (patriarchy). What do you think?

You also have the nice idiom "to be given the run of the house". Maybe the babysitter in question would not give this so freely ; )

What does 'to rule the house' mean? #5 (permalink) Sat Aug 30, 2008 15:02 pm   What does 'to rule the house' mean?

Hi Stew
Thanks for the input. "Rule the house" struck me as a pretty literal expression -- i.e. more literal than the idiom "rule the roost", for example. So, I'd wondered whether there was a bit more meaning hidden behind it.

To me, "rule the roost" does not necessarily imply 'male dominance' -- maybe because I don't think of the word "rooster", but rather simply of "roost" when I hear that expression.

stew.t. wrote:
You also have the nice idiom "to be given the run of the house". Maybe the babysitter in question would not give this so freely ; )
The test sentence refers to a baby sister.
Oddly enough, after first reading the sentence, I thought I'd read "babysitter" too. It wasn't until I looked at it again that I realized that it was a sister. :lol:

What does 'to rule the house' mean? #6 (permalink) Sat Aug 30, 2008 16:32 pm   What does 'to rule the house' mean?

Hi Amy

The idiom in question is quite literal.

Oppsla, minds reading wrong things alike.

I always associated a rooster with the other idiom.

What does get around mean? | What does the slang expression "a hang-up" mean?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What does the word flung mean?What does waxed mean?What's the difference between knot and hole?'walk in single file' sv 'walk in solitary file'What does the idiom 'to burst at the seams' mean?a turn for the better vs. a turn for the bestWhat does fire mean in Greek?What's the most famous bridge in London?suited vs. adjustedwhats the meaning of flea market?What does ferry mean?What does 'brought the house down' mean?Is this a use of the 'get-passive'?