Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to understand; to comprehend; to grasp
litter
pattern
suit
conceive
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does the phrasal verb 'take off' mean?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Phrasal conjunction 'as if' | The 11 most common prepositions of o-s
listening exercises
What does the phrasal verb 'take off' mean? #1 (permalink) Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:41 pm   What does the phrasal verb 'take off' mean?

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #56 "Chit Chat: In the Aeroplane", question 10

Mike: Don't get too excited! We're still on the runway and haven't taken ......... yet.

(a) through
(b) by
(c) off
(d) in

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #56 "Chit Chat: In the Aeroplane", answer 10

Mike: Don't get too excited! We're still on the runway and haven't taken off yet.

Correct answer: (c) off

Your answer was: correct

Hi everyone, can you explain to me why we must use "off" and not another word?
Harald

What does the phrasal verb 'take off' mean? #2 (permalink) Sun Aug 31, 2008 13:30 pm   What does the phrasal verb 'take off' mean?

You need to use "off", because the phrasal verb "take off" means for a plane or rocket (and the people in it) to leave the ground and start flying. If you use any word other than "off", you'll have a different phrasal verb that doesn't mean this.

"Take on" means to "accept" in the sense of accepting some kind of responsibility.
"Take in" means "accept" in the sense of accepting guests or adopted children, for example.

As far as I know, phrasal verbs "take through" and "take by" don't exist, so your only choice is "take off".
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
What does the phrasal verb 'take off' mean? #3 (permalink) Fri Feb 11, 2011 17:02 pm   What does the phrasal verb 'take off' mean?

Hi Jamie K.

I found in the Oxford Dictionary:

take sb through sth = to help, to learn or become familiar with sth, for example by talking about each part in turn:

For exp: The director took us through the play scene by scene.

Kati S.

What does the phrasal verb 'take off' mean? #4 (permalink) Fri Feb 11, 2011 17:52 pm   What does the phrasal verb 'take off' mean?

Hi Kati,

You're quite right, 'take someone through something' often suggests that you explain to someone, something as you say, like a play or also a procedure. It would be used like this: Let me take you through the procedure so that you can follow it step by step.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Phrasal conjunction 'as if' | The 11 most common prepositions of o-s
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Test incompl/inter-324, Question 9Test incompl/inter-324, User's Answer 4Test incompl/inter-323, Question 3Test incompl/inter-323, User's Answer 2Test incompl/inter-322, User's Answer 10to have a clean sheetWhat's the difference between fare and tariff?Idiom: broke as a jokebringing a knife to a gunfightgood to goDo you want some water? vs Have you got any water?Why should we use COULD as the answer?Meaning of 'May I ride with you to work?'