to work; to toil; to exert oneself; to work hard
cruise
reject
defend
labor

Where we have to pronounce the article the (dee) and the (da) before a vowel?

What is the difference between drop off and drop out? | What does "go to the foot of my stairs" mean?
Where we have to pronounce the article the (dee) and the (da) before a vowel? #1 (permalink) Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:49 am   Where we have to pronounce the article the (dee) and the (da) before a vowel?

ESL/EFL Test #98 "Articles in English Grammar", question 10

......... President of the United States will be visiting Australia next week.

(a) A
(b) An
(c) The

ESL/EFL Test #98 "Articles in English Grammar", answer 10

The President of the United States will be visiting Australia next week.

Correct answer: (c) The
_________________________

I would like to know where we have to pronounce the article the (dee) and the (da) before a vowel.

Marmel
Marmel

Where we have to pronounce the article the (dee) and the (da) before a vowel? #2 (permalink) Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:09 pm   Where we have to pronounce the article the (dee) and the (da) before a vowel?

.
You do not 'have to' pronounce 'the' either way; it is not a rule or a requirement. It is just the physics of clear language production. It generally sounds like /dhi:/ when it is unstressed before a vowel sound, that is all.
.
_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Can't I say like "I am (was) experienced."?You can't avoid it because it is enormous...What does 'to be with you on that' mean? I agree with you?Meaning of "ill at ease"Is television considered as the correct answer?what's the meaning of blow over?what is gambit?What are collocations with the word Census?What does blot mean?difference between a secretary and clerkMeans "cheat on" in this case "unfaithful"?what is the opposite meaning of abhor?What do you mean by "incidentally"?