Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to stress; to show the importance of
elaborate
assort
collect
emphasize
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

You can't avoid it because it is enormous...

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What does 'to be with you on that' mean? I agree with you? | Can't I say like "I am (was) experienced."?
listening exercises
You can't avoid it because it is enormous... #1 (permalink) Sun Sep 07, 2008 19:11 pm   You can't avoid it because it is enormous...

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #113 "Postcard: Appointment", question 9

You can't ......... it because it is enormous.

(a) miss
(b) avoid
(c) hit

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #113 "Postcard: Appointment", answer 9

You can't miss it because it is enormous.

Correct answer: (a) miss

You can't avoid it because it is enormous.

Omega
Omega

You can't avoid it because it is enormous... #2 (permalink) Sun Sep 07, 2008 22:27 pm   You can't avoid it because it is enormous...

Certainly, if something is enormous, it may be impossible to avoid. But in the context of the sequence of sentences in the test, "avoiding" the clock would not be an option.

That said, the sentence is not entirely natural; usually, if you've said "You can't miss it!", there's no need to add "because it's enormous", or some similar phrase: that's what "You can't miss it!" already implies.

However, you might hear the sentence in this rearranged form:

1. It's enormous. You can't miss it!

MrP
MrPedantic
I'm a Communicator ;-)

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
You can't avoid it because it is enormous... #3 (permalink) Mon Sep 08, 2008 0:27 am   You can't avoid it because it is enormous...

Quote:
That said, the sentence is not entirely natural; usually, if you've said "You can't miss it!", there's no need to add "because it's enormous", or some similar phrase: that's what "You can't miss it!" already implies.

Nonsense, MrP.

A: And how will I recognise it?

B: You can't miss it ,/because it's right on top of the hill/day-glo orange/got a massive sign on the front/right next to the bus station/typical of Venturi/got bells on, etc.

Now, I think we can agree that this sentence is not entirely natural

I say this because we are going to ......... nest weekend.
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What does 'to be with you on that' mean? I agree with you? | Can't I say like "I am (was) experienced."?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
What does 'do away' mean? Is it an idiom or a phrasal verb?What does agree to stay civilian mean?What does the idiom "sell me" mean?Translation of wavelengthdo vs. makeWhat is the difference between footsie and games?Meaning of "ill at ease"Is television considered as the correct answer?what's the meaning of blow over?What does "go to the foot of my stairs" mean?what is gambit?Where we have to pronounce the article the (dee) and the (da) before a vowel?What is the difference between drop off and drop out?