to appoint; to specify; to identify; to designate
receipt
name
combine
table

What is the difference between area and place?

I'm trying to pay down my car loan | What does "on Tuesday next" mean?
What is the difference between area and place? #1 (permalink) Tue Sep 09, 2008 19:59 pm   What is the difference between area and place?

ESL/EFL Test #111 "Postcard: Holiday", question 1

The hotel is a bit small and so we haven't much ..........

(a) area
(b) room
(c) place

ESL/EFL Test #111 "Postcard: Holiday", answer 1

The hotel is a bit small and so we haven't much room.

Correct answer: (b) room
_________________________

what the difference between area, room and place?
Placy

What is the difference between area and place? #2 (permalink) Tue Sep 09, 2008 20:13 pm   What is the difference between area and place?

In this sentence there is a reference to the hotel being small - not much room to move around in. 'Place' refers to a certain point as in: You are sitting here - this is your place. 'Area' covers the space/place all around you - They live in a country area where the gardens are all very big.

_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
What is the difference between area and place? #3 (permalink) Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:15 am   What is the difference between area and place?

thank u for above explanation
y should not i say 'much area' instead of 'much room '
Myfrndzz

What is the difference between area and place? #4 (permalink) Sat Sep 12, 2009 14:17 pm   What is the difference between area and place?

I know that 'much' is used with uncountable nouns eg. take as much time as you like, how much water in the pot etc.

Here rooms are countable.

Please explain.
Joydaniel2000

What is the difference between area and place? #5 (permalink) Sat Sep 12, 2009 18:50 pm   What is the difference between area and place?

'Area' is a large amount of land as in: There are some areas in the country where there are few houses/This is the public area where people can meet each other/Over there is the play area for children. 'Room' refers to the space in which you are standing and is used for the different places in the house for example - the sitting room/the dining room.

_________________

What is the difference between area and place? #6 (permalink) Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:34 am   What is the difference between area and place?

Thank you !
Joydaniel2000

usage of 'what is on earth ...' #7 (permalink) Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:03 am   usage of 'what is on earth ...'

Sir

I would like to know where, when and under which circumstances the sentence 'what is on earth is used'

Joydaniel2000

What is the difference between area and place? #8 (permalink) Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:05 am   What is the difference between area and place?

'W... on earth?' is used to add emphasis at the beginning of a question:
What on earth are you doing?
Where on earth have you been?
How on earth did you manage to get your finger stuck in that hole?
Who on earth would think of that?
Why on earth didn't you tell me you didn't understand?

In every case 'on earth' can be left out. The meaning would stay the same, but you wouldn't get the sense of surprise or frustration.

'W... in the world' is used in exactly the same way, though there aren't as many questions that can use this phrase without it sounding a little odd:
What in the world are you doing?
Where in the world have you been?
_________________

What is the difference between area and place? #9 (permalink) Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:17 am   What is the difference between area and place?

thank you !
Joydaniel2000

Test incompl/inter-347, User's Answer 4Does fat chance mean that the odds are poor that it will happenDoes to come on fast and furious mean that one was fast and furious?Does famoous last words mean that the best words ensue after the match has finishTest incompl/inter-346, User's Answer 5Test incompl/inter-346, User's Answer 4Test incompl/inter-346, User's Answer 3go berserk = become/get/go angry, frenzied, ragingdoubting thomasesTest incompl/advan-528, Question 1What is a lead foot?Test incompl/advan-518, Question 5Test incompl/advan-518, Question 6