plant; any location which mass-produces one type of product
career
commentary
tenant
factory

Difference between shut and close

The construction is clumsy: 'Quite wired' is not a correct joining of these words | What does clock mean?
Difference between shut and close #1 (permalink) Fri Apr 08, 2005 17:49 pm   Difference between shut and close

Test No. incompl/inter-10 "Close/Shut", question 1

In the interest of safety the main valve on the machine had to be ......... off.

(a) shutting
(b) closing
(c) closed
(d) shut

Test No. incompl/inter-10 "Close/Shut", answer 1

In the interest of safety the main valve on the machine had to be shut off.

Correct answer: (d) shut

_________________________

Could you show me the difference between shut and close? (shut vs. close)

Phuong Lam
Phuong Lam

Shut/close #2 (permalink) Fri Apr 08, 2005 18:06 pm   Shut/close

A full answer to this question would take a very long time, I'm afraid. There are so many uses of both verbs. They mean very much the same in some cases as in Shut the door and Close the door. The general difference is that shut has a more mechanical sense and close a manual sense. In the sentence in the test I've chosen shut to mean a precise/mechanical/exact movement.
_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Please explain #3 (permalink) Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:41 am   Please explain

Hi Alan
Hm...perhaps my Enlgish level is still low, however can u tell me what does the Mechanical sense and Manual sense?

Kelly

Shut/close #4 (permalink) Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:57 am   Shut/close

Dear Alen
what is the difference between shut off and shut in

regards
Khan
Shafqat

Difference between shut and close #5 (permalink) Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:05 pm   Difference between shut and close

Hi Khan,

'Shut off' as used in the test suggests that the function of the valve has been stopped so that it no longer operates. 'Shut in' suggests 'enclosed' so that there is no means of escape. If someone is shut in a room, it means that the door is locked.

_________________

Difference between shut and close #6 (permalink) Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:20 am   Difference between shut and close

Hi Khan,

thanks Alen i got the nswer.
Shafqat

Difference between shut and close #7 (permalink) Thu Mar 12, 2009 20:00 pm   Difference between shut and close

LDOCE

WORD CHOICE: close, shut, lock, turn/switch off
In many contexts, the verbs close and shut can be used in exactly the same way Please close OR shut the gate. The windows were all closed OR shut. She closed OR shut her eyes. The store closes OR shuts at 7.
!! Use close for a road, border, or airport All the crossing points on the border have been closed (NOT shut).
!! Before a noun, use closed a closed door (NOT shut door)
!! You cannot say 'close someone somewhere'. Use shut or lock to say that someone is put in a room or building and cannot get out They shut her (NOT closed her) in her bedroom. He was locked (NOT closed) in a cell.
Colonelcy

Location: Ukraine

literally vs accuratelyIt sounds a bit stange for me: 'Are you having...'What does prowling mean?Expression: a special language for childrenPhrase: Passengers are required to produce appropriatewhat does announcement of performance mean?how come can use "to seeing"?'The instructor ordered him' vs 'The instructor order him'Meaning of "Decompression sickness manifests"Press is not the establishment but the actual machine that does the printingPrincipal vs principleIndustry-specific is a compound noun or different grammatical structure?What does 'a good point' mean?