Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

plant; any location which mass-produces one type of product
career
commentary
tenant
factory
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Difference between shut and close

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
The construction is clumsy: 'Quite wired' is not a correct joining of these words | What does clock mean?
listening exercises
Difference between shut and close #1 (permalink) Fri Apr 08, 2005 17:49 pm   Difference between shut and close

Test No. incompl/inter-10 "Close/Shut", question 1

In the interest of safety the main valve on the machine had to be ......... off.

(a) shutting
(b) closing
(c) closed
(d) shut

Test No. incompl/inter-10 "Close/Shut", answer 1

In the interest of safety the main valve on the machine had to be shut off.

Correct answer: (d) shut

Your answer was: correct

Hello,

Could you show me the difference between shut and close? (shut vs. close)

Phuong Lam
Phuong Lam

Shut/close #2 (permalink) Fri Apr 08, 2005 18:06 pm   Shut/close

A full answer to this question would take a very long time, I'm afraid. There are so many uses of both verbs. They mean very much the same in some cases as in Shut the door and Close the door. The general difference is that shut has a more mechanical sense and close a manual sense. In the sentence in the test I've chosen shut to mean a precise/mechanical/exact movement.
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Please explain #3 (permalink) Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:41 am   Please explain

Hi Alan
Hm...perhaps my Enlgish level is still low, however can u tell me what does the Mechanical sense and Manual sense?

Thanks
Kelly

Shut/close #4 (permalink) Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:57 am   Shut/close

Alan wrote:
A full answer to this question would take a very long time, I'm afraid. There are so many uses of both verbs. They mean very much the same in some cases as in Shut the door and Close the door. The general difference is that shut has a more mechanical sense and close a manual sense. In the sentence in the test I've chosen shut to mean a precise/mechanical/exact movement.

Dear Alen
what is the difference between shut off and shut in

regards
Khan
Shafqat
I'm here quite often ;-)

Difference between shut and close #5 (permalink) Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:05 pm   Difference between shut and close

Hi Khan,

'Shut off' as used in the test suggests that the function of the valve has been stopped so that it no longer operates. 'Shut in' suggests 'enclosed' so that there is no means of escape. If someone is shut in a room, it means that the door is locked.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Difference between shut and close #6 (permalink) Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:20 am   Difference between shut and close

Alan wrote:
Hi Khan,

'Shut off' as used in the test suggests that the function of the valve has been stopped so that it no longer operates. 'Shut in' suggests 'enclosed' so that there is no means of escape. If someone is shut in a room, it means that the door is locked.

Alan

thanks Alen i got the nswer.
Shafqat
I'm here quite often ;-)

Difference between shut and close #7 (permalink) Thu Mar 12, 2009 20:00 pm   Difference between shut and close

LDOCE

WORD CHOICE: close, shut, lock, turn/switch off
In many contexts, the verbs close and shut can be used in exactly the same way Please close OR shut the gate. The windows were all closed OR shut. She closed OR shut her eyes. The store closes OR shuts at 7.
!! Use close for a road, border, or airport All the crossing points on the border have been closed (NOT shut).
!! Before a noun, use closed a closed door (NOT shut door)
!! You cannot say 'close someone somewhere'. Use shut or lock to say that someone is put in a room or building and cannot get out They shut her (NOT closed her) in her bedroom. He was locked (NOT closed) in a cell.
Colonelcy
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

The construction is clumsy: 'Quite wired' is not a correct joining of these words | What does clock mean?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
literally vs accuratelyIt sounds a bit stange for me: 'Are you having...'What does prowling mean?Expression: a special language for childrenPhrase: Passengers are required to produce appropriatewhat does announcement of performance mean?how come can use "to seeing"?'The instructor ordered him' vs 'The instructor order him'Meaning of "Decompression sickness manifests"Press is not the establishment but the actual machine that does the printingPrincipal vs principleIndustry-specific is a compound noun or different grammatical structure?What does 'a good point' mean?