to answer adequately or successfully
angle
house
field
graduate

What is the difference between difficult and different?

'lasts" instead of "last"? | Meaning of burgle
What is the difference between difficult and different? #1 (permalink) Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:01 am   What is the difference between difficult and different?

ESL/EFL Test #112 "Postcard: France", question 6

But here it is quite ......... as they only have a bread roll and tea or coffee.

(a) difficult
(b) different
(c) distinct

ESL/EFL Test #112 "Postcard: France", answer 6

But here it is quite different as they only have a bread roll and tea or coffee.

Correct answer: (b) different

But here it is quite difficult as they only have a bread roll and tea or coffee.
_________________________

why is different
Duffy

What is the difference between difficult and different? #2 (permalink) Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:30 am   What is the difference between difficult and different?

The reason is that a comparison is being made between France and England at breakfast time. That's why it says: 'here (France) it is quite different (from England).

_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
What is the difference between difficult and different? #3 (permalink) Fri May 08, 2009 14:55 pm   What is the difference between difficult and different?

I wonder why it couldn't be:
"But here it is quite difficult (to eat big breakfast), as they only have a bread roll and tea or coffee (so not too much components to make big breakfast)."

Best regards,
(as always, even if I don't write them:) )
Violino

Location: Poland Gdynia

What is the difference between difficult and different? #4 (permalink) Fri May 08, 2009 15:17 pm   What is the difference between difficult and different?

Because in context with the question asked before different makes more sense than difficult.
The big breakfast at home is mentioned already and the writer of the postcard wants to make the receiver aware of the difference.
_________________
No comment
Shyone

What is the difference between difficult and different? #5 (permalink) Fri May 08, 2009 15:39 pm   What is the difference between difficult and different?

So maybe I'm thinking too much Polish, because such a sentence in Polish is fine. Actually, both are okey and sensible.

At home I can eat big breakfast, because I have a lot of componenst to do it. In France it was different. At the hotel in Paris I found it difficult to eat big breakfast, because there was only a bread roll so there wasn't any posibility to eat like at home.
Violino

Location: Poland Gdynia

What is an eccentric person?What does 'set in stone' mean?Tell me what does that say? vs Tell me what that say.meaning of zippersWhat does a waitress do?What is the meaning of sublet?What does je nai pas comprit mean?What does "sme business" mean?What are the introduction to secretarial procdures in an electronic offices?What does a teacher do?What does 'donkey work' mean?What does 'quite a prune' mean?What is the cart?