Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to exercise; to use; to make an effort
rank
enroll
indicate
exert
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

How to use this forum?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
The crossover point is that production quantity where... | What 'violent' in Vietnames mean?
listening exercises
How to use this forum? #1 (permalink) Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:41 am   How to use this forum?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #291 "English Slang Idioms (13)", question 10

The police officer wasn't willing to tell the reporter anything unless it was off the ..........

(a) tape
(b) record
(c) limelight
(d) public

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #291 "English Slang Idioms (13)", answer 10

The police officer wasn't willing to tell the reporter anything unless it was off the record.

Correct answer: (b) record

Hi everyone,

It's simply a test because I have some questions about how to ask a question, which is list on this forum.
I'm here quite often ;-)

How to use this forum? #2 (permalink) Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:48 am   How to use this forum?

HI,

There are other forums. What was your question about?

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
How to use this forum? #3 (permalink) Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:05 am   How to use this forum?

Hi Alan,

My question is the following, as I posted it in another article.

I am wondering how to ask a question. As you can see, I do post a question sucessfully. Here is the example, http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic28745.html. But in the following test, I didn't find out the button or link "Do have you a question?". Here is another example. http://www.english-test.net/esl/learn/english/grammar/ei020/esl-test.php . I only see the link "Click here for Explanation." indeed. I want to know if this forum supports this function for ALL of the questions. Thanks a lot.

Maggie^^
I'm here quite often ;-)

How to use this forum? #4 (permalink) Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:18 am   How to use this forum?

Hi Maggie,

Apologies for being a bit slow. I see what you mean. As it's technical, I'll have to refer it to Torsten.

Best wishes,

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

How to use this forum? #5 (permalink) Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:05 pm   How to use this forum?

Hi Maggie,

Thanks a lot for raising this issue as I assume a lot of our users might be asking themselves the same question and they'll be interested in the answer. Every of our interactive test question is connected to the forum. On the top right-hand corner of every test question you will find a button that takes you directly to this forum here. If nobody has posted a forum message regarding a particular test question, the link/button is called "Do you have a question?". This means, if you click on this link and post a question, you start a new forum thread on that test question. If somebody has already started a forum thread on that test question, the link is called "Click here for explanations".

Let me know if this makes sense.
Regards,
Torsten

TOEIC listening, photographs: At the hospital
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

How to use this forum? #6 (permalink) Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:16 pm   How to use this forum?

Hi Torsten and everyone,

I totally understand it now. Moreover, I think it's a very intelligent thought and idea. It does make a more structural website and a good environment for us, English learners.

Thanks a lot.

Maggie :)
I'm here quite often ;-)

How to use this forum? #7 (permalink) Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:19 pm   How to use this forum?

That's great to hear, Maggie. Please do let us know if you have any questions because we see the system from our perspective and it's sometimes difficult for us to guess what questions our users might have.

Many thanks,
Torsten

TOEIC listening, photographs: The earthmover
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

How to use this forum? #8 (permalink) Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:19 am   How to use this forum?

:( I think what you omit is the fact that these's still no explanation for why (D) off the record is right. And after clicked the click here for explanations button, It brought me here. I don't know what this idiom does mean. Could you please explain for me? Many thanks.

How to use this forum? #9 (permalink) Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:11 pm   How to use this forum?

Hi,

'Off the record' really means unofficially. People use that expression when they say something that they don't want to be reported or noted or quoted. Politicians use this expression when they want to say something that is their personal opinion but they don't want their words to be reported in a newspaper.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

How to use this forum? #10 (permalink) Mon Jan 26, 2009 13:03 pm   How to use this forum?

:D Thank you.

The crossover point is that production quantity where... | What 'violent' in Vietnames mean?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Phrase: Can you buy my some Vanilla ice cream?What does the "push the envelope" mean?what does acommodation mean?freeze vs frostExpression: He is really gutsywhat does 'bite his hand off' meanmillionaire vs. accountantthe letter of the law?A loving and appropriate epitaph?Origin of the idiom 'no cigar'?Have the final say over everything?how to choose the right answer?What does cufflinks mean?