concentration; consideration; focus; care; acknowledgment; recognition
function
principal
attention
potency

Is there perhaps anything missing?

in 'behavior that can' that is redundant | What does blizzard mean?
Is there perhaps anything missing? #1 (permalink) Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:00 am   Is there perhaps anything missing?

Hello dear Alan

I'm Marc in Marseilles south of France

It's perhaps a stupid question but I don't understand why "is to" is placed a the end of the sentence "...before a holiday is to".

Test No. errors/inter-12 "Some Advice", question 5

We've found the best way to get good accommodations before a holiday is due.

(a) found
(b) way
(c) accommodations
(d) a holiday

Test No. errors/inter-12 "Some Advice", answer 5

We've found the best way to get good accommodation before a holiday is due.

Correct entry: accommodation
The error was: (c) accommodations

Is there perhaps anything missing ?

Congratulations for all your tests I'm learning a lot with them (anyway I try...)

Friendly yours

Marc
Marco

Is there perhaps anything missing? #2 (permalink) Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:41 am   Is there perhaps anything missing?

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your comments and I am glad you find the site useful. I'll look into your question and come back.

_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Holiday due #3 (permalink) Sat Mar 20, 2004 18:55 pm   Holiday due

Hi Marc,

Found it! The sentence reads: before a holiday is DUE (not 'to') and simply means before a holiday is about to come/start.

_________________

Is there perhaps anything missing? #4 (permalink) Tue Feb 23, 2010 18:27 pm   Is there perhaps anything missing?

Well, there is something missing here. The sentence just doesnt add up.

We've found the best way to get good accommodation IS before a holiday is due.
OR
We've found the best way to get good accommodation: before a holiday is due.
Samesame

Is there perhaps anything missing? #5 (permalink) Tue Feb 23, 2010 21:51 pm   Is there perhaps anything missing?

Hi Samesame,

I'm afraid none of your sentences make sense. Alan already explained what the sentence means. Which part of the explanation do you not understand? By the way, the word "doesnt" doesn't exist.

TOEIC short conversations: Personal assistant discusses scheduling for upcoming project meeting.

Is there perhaps anything missing? #6 (permalink) Thu Feb 25, 2010 14:13 pm   Is there perhaps anything missing?

Hi Torsten,

I do understand the meaning of the sentence, but I disagree with the 'official' version as there is clearly a word missing.
The way it reads now, the claim is that they have have found the best way to get good accommodation before a holiday is due. But they do not know how to best find accommodation if there is no holiday due. If that is the case then i understand the sentence even better, but it doesnt make much sense to me.
Samesame

What does this mean: Sing for my supper?pull up stake vs. pull up stakesWhy is the elphant heavy?What does breed mean?dominated vs. competedWhat comes after single, double, triple?Meaning of "Striking distance"What does 'my heart sank' mean?nevermindI here vs. I hear"in good stead"What is the meaning of bear comparison?two times now?