treated as an expense
major
absorbed
further
name

what does "cry me a river" mean?

difference between answer and respond | what to lable the following phrase for parts of speech 'I have ever seen'?
what does "cry me a river" mean? #1 (permalink) Thu Oct 02, 2008 13:35 pm   what does "cry me a river" mean?

"No one cares about me. My boyfriend was late for our date and my best friend hasn't called me for a week," Jenna whined. Christa replied, "Oh, ......... me a river! You never call anyone and you're always an hour late."

(a) roll
(b) cry
(c) wail
(d) pour

"No one cares about me. My boyfriend was late for our date and my best friend hasn't called me for a week," Jenna whined. Christa replied, "Oh, cry me a river! You never call anyone and you're always an hour late."

Correct answer: (b) cry
_________________________

what "cry me a river " mean?

Goran
Goran

what does "cry me a river" mean? #2 (permalink) Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:55 am   what does "cry me a river" mean?

When you cry, you produce tears. The idea is to cry so much you produce a river of tears. In other words, to cry a great deal.

Christina is being sarcastic, because she doesn't feel any sympathy for Jenna, since Jenna does exactly the same thing that she's complaining her boyfriend and best friend do to her.

So, to say 'cry me a river' is an exaggeration used to convey a sense of sarcasm when you don't feel sympathetic towards the person who's complaining.
_________________
Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow.
***
Did you hear they arrested the Energizer Bunny on battery charges?
***
Skrej

Location: Not-quite exact central USA

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Idiom 'All the way'What does "catch-all" mean?meaning of the phrase "money making venture"What does 'chip-in' mean?What does 'comprised' mean?How to use the F-word?difference between sense and feelWhat's the meaning of "tongue"?What does idiom mean: paint the town red?What's the difference between mirror and monitor?What does "talk him down" mean?What does 'to be in business of' mean?What does external mean?