Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

treated as an expense
major
absorbed
further
name
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

what does "cry me a river" mean?

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
difference between answer and respond | what to lable the following phrase for parts of speech 'I have ever seen'?
listening exercises
what does "cry me a river" mean? #1 (permalink) Thu Oct 02, 2008 13:35 pm   what does "cry me a river" mean?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #704 "English Slang Idioms (446)", question 3

"No one cares about me. My boyfriend was late for our date and my best friend hasn't called me for a week," Jenna whined. Christa replied, "Oh, ......... me a river! You never call anyone and you're always an hour late."

(a) roll
(b) cry
(c) wail
(d) pour

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #704 "English Slang Idioms (446)", answer 3

"No one cares about me. My boyfriend was late for our date and my best friend hasn't called me for a week," Jenna whined. Christa replied, "Oh, cry me a river! You never call anyone and you're always an hour late."

Correct answer: (b) cry

what "cry me a river " mean?

Goran
Goran

what does "cry me a river" mean? #2 (permalink) Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:55 am   what does "cry me a river" mean?

When you cry, you produce tears. The idea is to cry so much you produce a river of tears. In other words, to cry a great deal.

Christina is being sarcastic, because she doesn't feel any sympathy for Jenna, since Jenna does exactly the same thing that she's complaining her boyfriend and best friend do to her.

So, to say 'cry me a river' is an exaggeration used to convey a sense of sarcasm when you don't feel sympathetic towards the person who's complaining.
Skrej
I'm here quite often ;-)

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
difference between answer and respond | what to lable the following phrase for parts of speech 'I have ever seen'?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Idiom 'All the way'What does "catch-all" mean?meaning of the phrase "money making venture"What does 'chip-in' mean?What does 'comprised' mean?How to use the F-word?difference between sense and feelWhat's the meaning of "tongue"?What does idiom mean: paint the town red?What's the difference between mirror and monitor?What does "talk him down" mean?What does 'to be in business of' mean?What does external mean?