to affect strongly; to emphasize; to stamp
volunteer
impress
exist
circle

Difference between parties and participants

Difference between records and recordings | Question tags
Difference between parties and participants #1 (permalink) Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:37 am   Difference between parties and participants

Test No. incompl/advan-26 "Agreements", question 4

One of the ......... mentioned in the original agreement has decided that she does not want to continue with the profit-sharing scheme.

(a) partakers
(b) participants
(c) particles
(d) parties

Test No. incompl/advan-26 "Agreements", answer 4

One of the parties mentioned in the original agreement has decided that she does not want to continue with the profit-sharing scheme.

Correct answer: (d) parties

One of the participants mentioned in the original agreement has decided that she does not want to continue with the profit-sharing scheme.
_________________________

Help! What woud have been the indication for using "parties"?

Party #2 (permalink) Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:12 am   Party

Party is a word used in an official sense to describe the people/person or organization involved in some kind of agreement or possibly dispute. So, if you have two people involved in a dispute and then that disagreement is settled, you would say: Both parties have agreed with the decision.
_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Difference between offensive and offendingDifference between recur and repeatDifference between 'see about a plan' and 'see into a plan'Straight versus easyDifference between persist and insistWithout a stain on his characterNothing of noteDifference between practise and practiceWhat does the phrase 'in the open air' mean?Difference between determine and decideDifference between cancel and rejectKeep on trackDifference between set up and placed by