Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to give one thing in return for another; to replace one thing with another; to trade; to barter
exchange
mobilize
trust
instance
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does idiom mean: paint the town red?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What does 'to be in business of' mean? | difference between thesis and introduction
listening exercises
What does idiom mean: paint the town red? #1 (permalink) Thu Oct 02, 2008 20:12 pm   What does idiom mean: paint the town red?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #702 "English Slang Idioms (444)", question 5

"We haven't gone out as a group for a while. Why don't we all get together and paint the town ......... tonight?" Lilly said to the girls.

(a) new
(b) right
(c) red
(d) over

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #702 "English Slang Idioms (444)", answer 5

"We haven't gone out as a group for a while. Why don't we all get together and paint the town red tonight?" Lilly said to the girls.

Correct answer: (c) red

Your answer was: incorrect
"We haven't gone out as a group for a while. Why don't we all get together and paint the town new tonight?" Lilly said to the girls.

Why did you use "red" and not "new" or anther word?
Henna

What does idiom mean: paint the town red? #2 (permalink) Thu Oct 02, 2008 20:55 pm   What does idiom mean: paint the town red?

Because of this: http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/paint-the-town-red.html
(a fixed expression)
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
What does 'to be in business of' mean? | difference between thesis and introduction
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
meaning of the phrase "money making venture"What does 'chip-in' mean?What does 'comprised' mean?How to use the F-word?difference between sense and feelWhat's the meaning of "tongue"?difference between answer and respondwhat to lable the following phrase for parts of speech 'I have ever seen'?what does "cry me a river" mean?What's the difference between mirror and monitor?What does "talk him down" mean?What does external mean?why is the answer good?