to give one thing in return for another; to replace one thing with another; to trade; to barter
exchange
mobilize
trust
instance

What does idiom mean: paint the town red?

What does 'to be in business of' mean? | difference between thesis and introduction
What does idiom mean: paint the town red? #1 (permalink) Thu Oct 02, 2008 20:12 pm   What does idiom mean: paint the town red?

"We haven't gone out as a group for a while. Why don't we all get together and paint the town ......... tonight?" Lilly said to the girls.

(a) new
(b) right
(c) red
(d) over

"We haven't gone out as a group for a while. Why don't we all get together and paint the town red tonight?" Lilly said to the girls.

Correct answer: (c) red

"We haven't gone out as a group for a while. Why don't we all get together and paint the town new tonight?" Lilly said to the girls.
_________________________

Why did you use "red" and not "new" or anther word?
Henna

What does idiom mean: paint the town red? #2 (permalink) Thu Oct 02, 2008 20:55 pm   What does idiom mean: paint the town red?

Because of this: http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/paint-the-town-red.html
(a fixed expression)

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
meaning of the phrase "money making venture"What does 'chip-in' mean?What does 'comprised' mean?How to use the F-word?difference between sense and feelWhat's the meaning of "tongue"?difference between answer and respondwhat to lable the following phrase for parts of speech 'I have ever seen'?what does "cry me a river" mean?What's the difference between mirror and monitor?What does "talk him down" mean?What does external mean?why is the answer good?