Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

notch; narrow opening; place; position (within a system, etc.)
slot
locksmith
commitment
voyage
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

what to lable the following phrase for parts of speech 'I have ever seen'?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
what does "cry me a river" mean? | What's the meaning of "tongue"?
listening exercises
what to lable the following phrase for parts of speech 'I have ever seen'? #1 (permalink) Thu Oct 02, 2008 22:58 pm   what to lable the following phrase for parts of speech 'I have ever seen'?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #351 "English Slang Idioms (72)", question 1

"George is much more fleet of ......... than I gave him credit for. I thought that the falling beam was sure to crush him but he moved faster than I have ever seen him move to avoid it," Tom told Ron.

(a) back
(b) foot
(c) head
(d) ships

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #351 "English Slang Idioms (72)", answer 1

"George is much more fleet of foot than I gave him credit for. I thought that the falling beam was sure to crush him but he moved faster than I have ever seen him move to avoid it," Tom told Ron.

Correct answer: (b) foot

I need to know what to lable the following phrase for parts of speech- "I have ever seen"

Liman
Liman

what to lable the following phrase for parts of speech 'I have ever seen'? #2 (permalink) Fri Oct 03, 2008 15:47 pm   what to lable the following phrase for parts of speech 'I have ever seen'?

One observation.

Quote:
"George is much more fleet of ......... than I gave him credit for. I thought that the falling beam was sure to crush him but he moved faster than I have ever seen him move to avoid it," Tom told Ron.

It sounds as though the beam has fallen more than once and that George has dodged it each time.

Better:

"George is much more fleet of ......... than I gave him credit for. I thought that the falling beam was sure to crush him but he moved to avoid it faster than I have ever seen (him move) ," Tom told Ron.
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
what to lable the following phrase for parts of speech 'I have ever seen'? #3 (permalink) Fri Oct 03, 2008 17:31 pm   what to lable the following phrase for parts of speech 'I have ever seen'?

Molly wrote:
"George is much more fleet of ......... than I gave him credit for. I thought that the falling beam was sure to crush him but he moved to avoid it faster than I have ever seen (him move) ," Tom told Ron.

...and your wording can be also interpreted as ..avoid it very fast.
I think that the sentence is good as it stands, because the reader should be able to discern the intended, reasonable meaning, and brush away other possible meanings that do not fit the bill.
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

what to lable the following phrase for parts of speech 'I have ever seen'? #4 (permalink) Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:09 am   what to lable the following phrase for parts of speech 'I have ever seen'?

Quote:
I think that the sentence is good as it stands, because the reader should be able to discern the intended, reasonable meaning, and brush away other possible meanings that do not fit the bill.

So, upon first reading it is ambiguous, right?
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

what does "cry me a river" mean? | What's the meaning of "tongue"?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
meaning of 'Appreciate'Idiom 'All the way'What does "catch-all" mean?meaning of the phrase "money making venture"What does 'chip-in' mean?What does 'comprised' mean?How to use the F-word?difference between sense and feeldifference between answer and respondWhat does idiom mean: paint the town red?What's the difference between mirror and monitor?What does "talk him down" mean?What does 'to be in business of' mean?