blunder; fault; error
mistake
momentum
institute
retirement

Difference between determine and decide

To calculate the tax | Difference between cancel and reject
Difference between determine and decide #1 (permalink) Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:48 am   Difference between determine and decide

Test No. incompl/advan-26 "Agreements", question 10

We decided to employ a solicitor who would be able to ......... the extent of our liability in this matter.

(a) decipher
(b) decide
(c) defer
(d) determine

Test No. incompl/advan-26 "Agreements", answer 10

We decided to employ a solicitor who would be able to determine the extent of our liability in this matter.

Correct answer: (d) determine

We decided to employ a solicitor who would be able to decide the extent of our liability in this matter.
_________________________

why "determine"? Ok, apart from repetition which I am just detecting "decide" is not so nice.

Determine #2 (permalink) Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:56 am   Determine

Here we need a verb meaning calculate/work out and not make a decision.
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Difference between 'see about a plan' and 'see into a plan'Difference between persist and insistWithout a stain on his characterNothing of noteDifference between practise and practiceQuestion tagsWhat does the phrase 'in the open air' mean?Difference between records and recordingsDifference between parties and participantsKeep on trackDifference between set up and placed byDifference between systematic and thematicDifference between reconcile and recognize