Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

tiny; extremely small; trivial; petty; accurate
minute
traditional
meticulous
choice
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does 'comprised' mean?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What's the meaning of "tongue"? | What does 'chip-in' mean?
listening exercises
What does 'comprised' mean? #1 (permalink) Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:10 am   What does 'comprised' mean?

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #519 "English Slang Idioms (103)", question 1

Marcie thought that, perhaps, she made a mistake by telling the employees they could invite family members. She thought that family members meant a spouse but the people showing up in ......... appeared to be comprised of children, elderly folks and brothers and sisters.

(a) gaggles
(b) droves
(c) battalions
(d) mass

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #519 "English Slang Idioms (103)", answer 1

Marcie thought that, perhaps, she made a mistake by telling the employees they could invite family members. She thought that family members meant a spouse but the people showing up in droves appeared to be comprised of children, elderly folks and brothers and sisters.

Correct answer: (b) droves

What is "comprised"?

Nong
NongP

What does 'comprised' mean? #2 (permalink) Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:59 am   What does 'comprised' mean?

'Comprised' means 'made up of' or 'consists of'. Thus, the droves included children, the elderly, and siblings, not just the expected spouses.
Skrej
I'm here quite often ;-)

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
What's the meaning of "tongue"? | What does 'chip-in' mean?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What does tyro mean?What does grindstone mean?meaning of 'Appreciate'Idiom 'All the way'What does "catch-all" mean?meaning of the phrase "money making venture"How to use the F-word?difference between sense and feeldifference between answer and respondwhat to lable the following phrase for parts of speech 'I have ever seen'?What does idiom mean: paint the town red?what does "cry me a river" mean?What's the difference between mirror and monitor?